my views on windows Me

dee88

after having windows Me since 2000 i decided to upgrade to windows xp a few months ago and what can i say about Me, it was the worst OS microsoft have made. down to problems with hardware, software, system restore and lots of other stuff, i dont know why i didnt upgrade to windows xp sooner. i have had windows xp for a few months now and i have not had one problem with it. what does everyone else think of Windows Me.

Windows Me made a bad first impression as it was rushed out before several important stages were completed.

Its included IE 5.5 and WMP7 were beta versions and the included System Restore had a date bug that also needed immediate patching.

OEM's were forced to release it on their machines before thorough testing had been completed on drivers for included hardware and compatibility with included software.

These things resulted in lots of problems for users on brand new pc's and support technicians tore their heads apart trying to fix what couldn't be fixed without new released drivers and updates.

Once patched up, I have found Windows Me to be about the best one can get out of a 9x system. Its files are the latest bug fixed versions available for 9x, and when fully updated with, for example, the updates available on MDGx's website is stable and able to run just about any hardware and software released between 1998 though today. The exception being of course the newest XP/2000 only hardware drivers and software, and later innovations like NTFS, dual processors, etc. With the exception of the GDI memory resource degradation inherent in 9x, Windows Me is quite robust and effective.

It and all 9x varients have been surpassed by XP of course. Drivers and software are now being made that can not be used on 9x. To get the most out of the newest hardware and software today, you use XP.

However for slightly older hardware/software (like only a few months old), there's nothing dibilitating about how a fully updated Windows Me runs the computer.

Its got a bad rep, but it really is a fine operating system that can do very well for most home users.

You want the best Windows available though? Sure, you get XP. That's where the emphasis of developers is and the where the most advanced technology available for a Windows user resides.

This may seem odd, but I think windows me was the one Windows OS that I have never seen a BSOD on. Though, I've only used it a few times on my old Dell. I did run an experiment with the sole purpose of crashing the computer on vmWare. I decided to bring down the system resources as far as I could to see if I could crash it. I got the resourecs down to less than 1%, and nothing happened. Hmm, maybe I'll try that OS out on this computer. All I've heard about windows me is that it is the worst OS to ever come out of Microsoft, but after some "minor" experience with the OS, I'm going back to my opinion that XP Home is the worst OS made by MS (based 2 years of personal experience.) IMHO, Windows Me is not that bad at all.

My Pc Specs

Dmachine DV Extreme

Windows xp professional

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHZ SAN DIEGO

1GB ram

nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX graphics card

Samsung 17" TFT monitor

SoundBlaster Live 24BIT 7.1 8 Channel Surround Sound Audio

****, how much did that thing cost!!??

Edited by Jlo555

My Pc Specs

Dmachine DV Extreme

Windows xp professional

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHZ SAN DIEGO

1GB ram

nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX graphics card

Samsung 17" TFT monitor

SoundBlaster Live 24BIT 7.1 8 Channel Surround Sound Audio

****' date=' how much did that thing cost!!??

[right']<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

about £899 GBP dont know what it is in $

I've never had anything against ME, it has always worked great for me.

I often prefer ME over 98SE because of its better hardware support and because it feels more modern/updated (it is the top of the 9x as Eck wrote). Although on some older machines you can't install ME because of some strange incompatibility.

If the comp has got enough memory and HDD-space then XP is without a doubt the first choice.

I think most modern Windows versions are quite good if fully updated (I've used all of them except from the betas). But they need various amounts of tweaking/slimming in order to work as I like them to.

Off topic, about dee88:s PC:

My last full comp did cost more than twice of that (back in late 2002), just add some speakers, a DVDRW, an extra HDD and other extras/components and you are up there.

I've never had anything against ME, it has always worked great for me.

I often prefer ME over 98SE because of its better hardware support and because it feels more modern/updated (it is the top of the 9x as Eck wrote). Although on some older machines you can't install ME because of some strange incompatibility.

If the comp has got enough memory and HDD-space then XP is without a doubt the first choice.

I think most modern Windows versions are quite good if fully updated (I've used all of them except from the betas). But they need various amounts of tweaking/slimming in order to work as I like them to.

Off topic, about dee88:s PC:

My last full comp did cost more than twice of that (back in late 2002), just add some speakers, a DVDRW, an extra HDD and other extras/components and you are up there.

i do have a 52x dvdrw, JBL platinum speakers and an extra 120gb HDD which was included with the pc, i just didnt think it was important to include this info.

Edited by dee88

this computer was a much needed upgrade

this is my old pc specs

compaq presario 5000 series

windows Me

1ghz AMD athlon

128mb ram later upgrade to 256mb

8xcdrw

(worst pc i have ever owned i had to fix it every few months)

got this in december 2000

it was much dearer than the new pc

this is the specs of my much much older pc (got this in 1999)

dell dimension xpst500

windows 98

500mhz

64mb ram upgraded to 256mb to give to my mum

8x cdrw upgraded a few months later to 40x cdrw

and installed a memory card reader.

this pc was very good better than the compaq even through the compaq is newer than it.

My machine came with Windows 98SE. It was tolerable, but I got enough blue screens to put me off. I stumbled upon Windows ME and gave it a go. It boots noticably faster, and I experience very few blue screens. With Tweak UI and System Restore Remover I've been able to tweak it quite a bit...for a nontechie. I like Windows ME. I guess that makes me an apostate.

There are very few absolutes in the home computer world.

If you liked 98/SE and the ability to shell out to dos, edit your autoexec.bat and config.sys files with Sysedit,,,,then you hated ME. For MOST tech's, there was no middle ground.

That restore thingy was a nightmare. If the OS really screwed up you couldn't get at the restore files to do a restore, and they would build up to the point where they would over-run the HD.

With Tweak UI and System Restore Remover I've been able to tweak it quite a bit.

I use System Restore Remover on every ME machine that I have to work on.

On a few systems though, that program will NOT install. So I boot up with my old 98 boot disk and run this command from a little batch file I have on the FD.

Deltree /y "C:\_restore\*.*"

That cleans out that folder. Then you can shut off the Restore feature in windows.

One Plus that I found in ME was the refurbished DEFRAG program. They took out some redundancy (about 50 bites of code) and made it run about 10x faster than the old '98 defrag.

If you're doing any work on the older 98 OS, grab the Defrag program from any ME machine and copy it to the 98 machine for a much faster Defrag.

It works equally well for 95 too. I carry it with me all the time on my Utilities CD and install it on every 98 machine that I work on. I even wrote a little batch file to do the install for me in about two seconds.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

this is the specs of my much much older pc (got this in 1999)

dell dimension xpst500

windows 98

500mhz

64mb ram upgraded to 256mb to give to my mum

8x cdrw upgraded a few months later to 40x cdrw

and installed a memory card reader.

this pc was very good better than the compaq even through the compaq is newer than it.

Lol... my testbed machine for Win98SE mods, and such, is an XPS T450 w/500MHz P3, which I took from a broken down Dimension L500. I bumped it up to 320MB RAM, and 2 SCSI hard drives, as well as 2 IDE hard drives, and a DVD-ROM drive...

current specs:

Pentium 3 500MHz

320MB RAM

2x 8GB IBM SCSI-1 hard drives

1x 6GB Maxtor HDD

1x 8GB DeathStar (IBM HDD)

1x LTD-122 Liteon DVD-ROM drive

Windows 98SE

Windows 2000 nlited

Windows XP Home

Windows XP runs smoothly on it, as well as Windows 98SE, Me, and 2000... Although, I don't have any AV or Spyware Protection, as the machine hasn't had contact with the internet yet... but I got it a nice PCI 54g wireless card a few weeks ago, and I'm in need of reformatting it, so... yeah.

Edit: and yes, I'm a tech, work in a local computer shop. I was out sick today... awful cold/fever/general awfulness.

Edited by jimmsta