Windows 98 Boot

RAZ Dad

Hi every body

I am trying to install windows 98SE in a old computer but

unfortunatly when the system restart it recongnise the CD in

in drive and attempt to boot from CD but cant't and the message

display "the disk is not bootable" but the disk is bootable it

work and boot perfect in other computer.

CD Drive is first in boot list in setup.

is there any other way to install windows 98SE in this hard drive.

Thanks for your help

:) win 98 cd is not bootable simple by setting bios too boot cdrom first u need a win98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com ,then put bios to boot from floppy first and run floppy from reboot choose cdrom loaded then itll install drivers to make cd rom read 98 cd at dos prompt type setup a:setup thats it u may need to format your hardrive c:format c:/u note space between format and letter c .good luck .

I am trying to install windows 98SE in a old computer but unfortunatly when the system restart it recongnise the CD in drive and attempt to boot from CD but cant't and the message display "the disk is not bootable" but the disk is bootable it work and boot perfect in other computer.

Make sure you have CD-Rom selected as first booting device in the BIOS. (See your mobo manual on how to get in the BIOS, usually pressing the F8 key) You are probably trying to boot on your Hard drive and there is nothing on it.

Edited by eidenk

you're absolutely right.....

When windows is installing, it wants to reboot the PC but it hasn't loaded the CD rom drivers yet. A real problem.

My own fix.

Before starting the install, I use a boot floppy, (which installs the CD drivers), to partition and format the HD.

Then I use DOS to make a folder for 98. I usually just call it:

C:\win98

Then I go into the CD and the \Win98\ folder and then type in:

copy *.* C:\win98

That puts all the cab files and Setup.exe on the hard drive and you can remove the CD from its drive.

Then just go to that new folder on your HD and run setup.exe /ie /is

Windows 98 will now load from its own folder on the HD and you won't have to worry any more about whether it can read the CD or not.

When the install process is complete, the CD drivers for windows will be loaded and everything will work just fine....like its supposed to.

And windows will never have to ask you to insert the CD if it needs a new driver, etc.

Everything it needs is right there on your HD.

Cheers,

Andromeda43