Build PE for use on FST32 partition

DaGbyte

Maybe I'm missing something, but here's what I'm doing...

Each time I need to test a build, i have batch files that I kick off to build either a HDD version or CD version of PE. When I make a change to a driver, or tweak, I just rebuild it and either create a new version. Both work well. I can either burn the ISO or copy the files to an NTFS partition, set it active and reboot.

I have a need to burn a ghost image of a FAT32 version of PE. Primarily, because I don't want to have to build a new image each and every time I update the drivers (which from what I see, could be many, many times).

I know when I used to make dual boot 98/NT machines, I had to have 98 already installed. Are there any tricks for PE? How can I make a FAT32 bootable version of PE??

-DaG

Edited by DaGbyte

The problem is.. That you can't just replace the driver by over writing the old one.

There is more involved. If you do that the driver will function but not for any of the new devices (which is why you are replacing the driver). You have to add the PNP strings to the txtsetup.sif file as well.

Chris

The way I do my builds now is I launch MKIMG.CMD and in that batch file, I copy my drivers in my \Drivers folder to my build folder:

xcopy .\Drivers\*.* %WINPEDESTDIR%\%PLATEXT% /e /v /i /y

In the Drivers folder I have my INF folder and my system32\Drivers folder where the corresponding file exist. I was under the impression that PE reads the INF files at boot up abd loads the corresponding driver for it.

What I want to do is be able to inject NEW files (.INF and .SYS) into a ghost image so I don't have to snap a new copy of it.

Am I crazy or is that not how it works??

-DaG

Edited by DaGbyte

Hmm I tried using live hdd install of pe for making my images but I had lots of problems with it , now im using a script to rebuild everything as needed ie when I update or add a driver or two it takes about 5 mins to rebuild my pe with all the drivers and tweaks ( tools , .Net support , etc) I find clean builds to work much better than tweaked old installs with overwritten files and broken infs :} PE can be a lifesaver or a big pain in the rear , and you know it :D

EDIT: I wouldn't use ghost for something as volatile as PE is :P Each time I sit down and try and tweak my PE I rewrite half of the scripts lol.

Edited by rtK

• 5 weeks later...