Excel 2003 cell selection problem

techitch

This has probably been discussed before -

When I select a cell in Excell 2003 the cursor seems to continue highlighting with out me asking it to.

I am running a Toshiba laptop with touch pad - but have also tried using a mouse and still get the same problem. Is there a way of getting to stop selecting? I only want to select one cell at a time!!!!

Thanks for your help

Techitch

More info in detail:

I have a problem with Excel: When I select any cell, then let go of the left mouse button – it acts as though I am permanently holding down the left mouse button; i.e. it tries to select multiple cells. I cannot de-select the left mouse button and cannot access any of the menu buttons. The only thing I can do is right click on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and close excel – open it up again and have the same problem!

I thought it was a touchpad problem, so tried plugging in my mouse – same problem.

I thought this was normal. A cell is always highlighted, except as noted above. There should be no reason to un-highlight it unless going on to another cell. Also, you will notice, that if you save the document with a cell highlighted, the highlighted cell will re-appear when document is opened. At least in Quatro Pro. :w00t:

I would take Iceman's advice.

One other thing that never seems to work but is always worth a try: Detect and repair or Check for updates (assuming you still have access to your install point). I don't know of any known bugs that would cause this problem though.

Do you have a similar problem with any other apps? (i.e. selecting text in a word doc). Or is it just in Excel? If your mouse/touchpad only behaves this way while working in Excel, it may just be an application bug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...