cant turn windows firewall on

kambui

guys i cant turn my windows firewall on on the firewall setting menu every check box is disabled and i cant select it to be on

plzzzzzz help me out :}:}:}

i have atached a print screen hope this helps

post-65766-1127075824_thumb.jpg

Edited by kambui

a couple of things might be the problem here..

1) are you an administrator on this machine

2) is this machine part of a domain that has a policy set for it

3) when you installed McAfee... it disabled the firewall services and starts its own firewall services

4) are the services started (windows Firewall/internet connection sharing service)

:hello:

I would like to point to the bluish text, from the screen shot, above:

"For your security, some settings are controled by group policy"

IMHO, no doubt the restriction is set there, by user or by program.

Davor

can't understand what you meant to say ...you can just open the screen shot on a separate screen and enlage it

but i still cant figure out my problem

actually i had the full macafe security i had just installed the firewall and virus scan . i installed win xp service pack 2 recenty then i removed my macafe fire wall because i heard that windows firewall is better than macafe . but as you know i cant switch my fire wall on ......plz can any body help the helps provided by chilifrei64,soldier1st didn't help as i knew this stuff before hand i tried many thig .only option left is to completely remove macafe security center

:(:(:(

can't understand what you meant to say ...you can just open the screen shot on a separate screen and enlage it

:hello: ... and thats what i did. But i think you didn't understand me.

Look at the picture: Under 'General' you see the 'Windows firewall icon,' and on the right of the icon, you see the reason why it's all grayed out.

Are you familiar with group policy? if so, type gpedit.msc in run, and search for the appropriate key, and modify it. If not, go to microsoft.com and learn about GP, or, just uninstall macafe if you think that is the problem.

Davor

Edited by Davor

I'm a professional Computer Tech.

If i were setting at your keyboard, the very first thing I would do is go to Add/Remove programs and De-Install McAfee. That's a real piece of C.R.A.P.

Get rid of it and start over.

MS Firewall is dependent on several other services to be running before you can turn it on. Check it out in "Services.msc" and right clik on Microsoft Firewall and look at Properties then Dependencies. That will tell you all the programs that Firewall is dependent on. If those programs are not in Automatic mode......them put them in Automatic mode.

Then replace McAfee with AVG 7 FREE from www.grisoft.com.

You'll have a much better anti-virus program (free) and without all the problems that McAfee causes.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43