Firefox version 1.5 Beta 1

Press any key

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4

(code-named Deer Park)

firefox_1_5_b1_msfn.jpg

Better known as Mozilla Firefox version 1.5 Beta 1

=OR= as the Title Bar displays: Mozilla Firefox Beta 1

Loads in 2 - 5 seconds as opposed to IE7 B1's 2 seconds, but this is much improved on previous

performances. Seems stable enough, better than IE7 B1 at present.

Some sites are not displaying properly, notably Microsoft, ofcourse. Video, or whatever it is they have

(they don't state) about the Expression suite of products: .. NO PLAY. And missing info on page.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expressi...er/default.aspx

You need to be careful when click changing Tabs as it is easy to inadvertently hit one of the Browser

Toolbar Folder Hyperlinks. Putting the links in Folders helps solve this problem, as only the Folder

links open.

::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::

***Isn't it time to get rid of Bookmarks altogether AND just use the Bookmarks

Toolbar where you can have links, but better still, Folders of links. Much easier to organize and find

links.

*Also get rid of Favorites in IE and just use the Links Folder.

::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::::~..~::..~..::

The Toolbar backgrounds are Gray on both IE7 B1 & Mozzie 1.5 B1, but they are just

beta's. However you can add a Toolbar image to Firefox by making and naming an image tile:

background.jpg. This needs to be placed in the Chrome Folder located at:-

C:\Documents and Settings\**{your name}**\Application

Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\********.default\chrome

It gives a bit of color, without the Themes overhead.

Finally, Extensions won't install if not compatible with the version of Mozzie you're

using.

I've found three that will install so far, and work OK. They are IE View 1.2.5, my favorite -

InFormEnter 0.2.9.9 and SmoothWheel 0.44.7. However, several others I tried to install, declined.

It also comes with one Extension installed: Reporter 1.8b4 'Report a broken web site.'

Ironically, the 'View in Firefox' link in IE7 B1 will not open Firefox anymore. That file came from

Mozzie, not MS. Maybe it just needs updating.

And YOU CAN click and drag the Tabs around to rearrange them. NEAT, but maybe more use in IE7 if

you could open Mail to a Tab, then maybe drag it to the left, out of the way.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1859595,00.asp

".........

Aliso Viejo, Calif.-based Net Applications said Firefox usage jumped up a quarter point in August 2005

to reach 8.27 percent.

America Online Inc.'s Netscape and Apple Computer Inc.'s Safari also enjoyed gains in overall usage to

chip away at Microsoft Corp.'s dominant Internet Explorer browser.

"In August 2005, Microsoft's Internet Explorer continued its slow, yet steady decline in browser usage

market share. IE enjoyed 92.31 percent market share in October of 2004, but is currently at 86.31

percent," Net Applications said in a statement.

..............."

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1857322,00.asp

Officials at the Mozilla Foundation on Friday acknowledged that a potentially dangerous code execution

hole exists in fully patched versions of its flagship Firefox Web browser.

The open-source foundation's confirmation comes on the same day it shipped Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 (code

-named Deer Park) and highlights the delicate balancing act faced by Mozilla to market Firefox as a

security upgrade over Microsoft's dominant Internet Explorer.

what abt performance?

we must wait for its stable release to use it in UA cd.

It is just as fast as previous releases, but loads a whole lot faster..

I'd be very concerned about using it given the below...

*However I am using it at present. :(

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1857322,00.asp

Officials at the Mozilla Foundation on Friday acknowledged that a potentially dangerous code execution

hole exists in fully patched versions of its flagship Firefox Web browser.

The open-source foundation's confirmation comes on the same day it shipped Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 (code

-named Deer Park) and highlights the delicate balancing act faced by Mozilla to market Firefox as a

security upgrade over Microsoft's dominant Internet Explorer.

---------------------------------------------------

Like bmn... how is the memory usage? Has the memory leak been fixed (i.e. leave it running for a good few hours... what's the mem usage at)?

I've only been using it for 1 Hr 43 Mins, memory says 75,880K

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've now been using it for 3 Hr 8 Mins, memory says 106,124K

Edited by Press any key