CD rom not recognized

talbotroad

I need some help please. I have an old computer Compaq which I only want to run one program Excel. I was having problems with files missing so I thought i would just wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall my 98 SE disk and all would be fine. Well the computer doesnt recognize the CD rom ... I have a boot disk which allows me to go to dos. Can anyone give me some suggestions please.

In BIOS Setup there is a support of boot from CD-ROM?

If this support is disabled, try boot from DOS floppy disk (with support ASPI CD-ROM), execute a command sys A: C:, will copy files from CD to HDD, boot from HDD and execute setupcor.exe

You can make boot floppy disk in other Windows OS (9x/nt-based)

I am suspecting that I need a new CD rom perhaps... there is no sign of it functioning. I will try another one in it and see if it will boot up. It is a CompaQ computer and it is impossible to get to the bios during boot up.. I would like to change the setting to boot first from CD but I can't get to that spot. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Will check back later after I install a different CD rom

On just about every Compaq that I've seen, you must tap the F10 key while the red Compaq logo is still on the screen during boot up. Then the bios will open up.

Also, most Compaq computers have the CD set as first boot by default.

But it must be a bootable CD.

You may need to get a boot floppy with the CD rom drivers already on it.

If you use a 98 machine to make a boot floppy, it will install the CD drivers for you.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43