"Setup Is Starting Windows..."

My UAXPCD as of today had no issues with Installation at all. I used it to Install XP in My Desktop PC for numerous installations without any problem. The same I386 folder, with just edited svcpack.inf from time to time, is used in my office environment, and there again it did nothing adverse. But, today I ventured into a Compaq Pressario 2200 Laptop belonging to one of my colleague, and the installation could not proceed beyond a few steps. I just narrate what chronologically happened in Pressario:

1. Press any key to boot from CD ====> Pressed.

2. Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration.

3. Windows Setup > Press F6 > Press F2

4. Setup is Loading Files (Windows Executive) > > > ..> Windows NT File System..

5. Setup Is Starting Windows....

My Harddisk light blinked for a few times, then CD-ROM reading lens blinked for a few seconds.

I waited for 30 minutes but no examination of Harddisk and partitions took place. That's all about my Unattended venture into Laptop. :}

Some other interesting observations that I carried out thereafter are as follows:

A. The same CD if used anywhere except the said Laptop gives no trouble at all. Setup is Starting Windows and It really takes off and completes smoothly.

B. If, instead of My UAXPCD, I use Vanilla XP+SP2 Slipstreamed CD for the Installation in Preassario 2200, Setup never hangs when it's starting windows. HDD is examined and Partitions displayed without any hitch.

I'm totally confused. Which one is Faulty? Either Laptop HDD or my UAXPCD? If you read carefully, i can't put anyone of them at fault, honestly. Why such things happen? Does anybody have similar issues faced anytime? Can anybody come out with some advice.

I eagerly wait..... :(

Well, it sounds like you have something in your Winnt.sif that the notebook doesn't like. Thus causing it to hang before the GUI loads.

Sorry, but I would put the blame on your Unattended CD. Especially since a regular CD with SP2 loads without a "Hitch"

@ Martin et. al.

I'm using CD-based install. Probably, I've sorted out the source of problem. My UAXPCD is specifically built for Desktop, as my WINNT.SIF contains this line:

[unattended]

ComputerType = "ACPI Uniprocessor PC", Retail

Now, as i understand when setup detected hardware configuration, it expected either the following line in [unattended] section

ComputerType = "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

or no mention of ComputerType at all, there.

I think for Laptop, this the HAL that's detected by setup and recognized as such.

Am i wrong here? or there're some other issues doing this dirty trick?

I expect some insightfull comments here by my erudite forum mates.

@ rikgale,

Nope, I use traditional method of keeping a Driver folder inside $1. Sometimes, I use Drivers.EXE, an sfx archive and extract it from DetachedProgram.

What I ask you is that such setting of ComputerType is not the source of trouble?

As you use Laptop, I think you'll be able to say your ComputerType by just looking at Device Manager.

Waiting for your kind response....

2 Martin,

Yeah, If I remove that entry, I think surely, setup will decide the HAL type on its own. Omission has no effect as such information is not left by Microsoft at the mercy of User's choice. Microsoft always thinks that their beloved OS is going to be used by rich, deep-pocketed, wealthy n00bs. And, asking ComputerType to input, is a very difficult question for them. So, Instead of asking them, MS made Setup intelligent enough to identify HAL on its own. While I'm no n00b, yet am a perfect id*** to casually include such parameter inside WINNT.SIF.

I wish i could have attended your presentation, not yesterday, before burning the CD, which is at least 10 months back.

BTW, why don't you maintain such interesting experiences upon which you base your presentations in your blog at least. There you totally ignore Deployment these days. If you restrain us from being enlighted with your sweet-and-sour-experiences in the company of sysprep and winnt.sif, etc. then we'll be robbed off the chance to share and learn a "good samaritan's" experiences. This is as good as paying attention to someone's scream for script ( may be another id***, or the same one?)

Martin,

I checked your latest blog. Deployment advices shared by you are just gems. It always keeps my head in place. BTW, just one more request. Can you please post a bare minimum WINNT.SIF, irrespective of any pre-determined deployment situations, which in the way, always spares USER intervention throughout the whole setup. Thereby, I'll be really informed about how many unnecessary entries I'm actually using in my WINNT.SIF. While forum members are running well ahead of time and space, Forum UA Guide is lagging behind enormously.

Hope, you understand my concern. Thanks..

Here is my winnt.sif, it is fully unattended. I have removed useless things, like MSN Messenger, MSN Explorer and Outlook Express

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=1
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"
   AutomaticUpdates=yes

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition=Yes

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=***************************
   EncryptedAdminPassword=Yes
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   ProductKey=*****************************
   FullName="Your Name Here"
   OrgName="Your Company Here"
   ComputerName=*

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=107
   Dialing=Tone
   AreaCode=555
   LongDistanceAccess="*67,"

[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=1
   SystemLocale=00001009
   UserLocale=00001009
   InputLocale=1009:00000409

[FavoritesEx]
   Title1=".url"
   URL1="http://www."
   Title2=".url"
   URL2="http://www."

[Branding]
   BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
   Home_Page=http://www.
   Help_Page=http://www.
   Search_Page=http://www.google.com

[Proxy]
   Proxy_Enable=0
   Use_Same_Proxy=1

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=Workgroup

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]
   msmsgs=off
   msnexplr=off
   AccessOpt = Off
   Deskpaper = Off
   Fax = On
   Media_clips = Off
   OEAccess = Off
   WMAccess = Off

[Shell]
   DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes

[TerminalServices]
   AllowConnections = 1

[WindowsFirewall]
   Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
   Mode = 0

[IEPopupBlocker]
   AllowedSites=www.google.com

Edited by Gee

@Gee,

Thanks for the WINNT.SIF posted by you. It's already devoid of a lot of unnecessary entries. But, probably, i couldn't make you understand my idea of "Unnecessary" entries. Again i try: By unnecessary entries i mean those entries for which setup can take decision on its own. In other words, those entries for which, irrespective of Deployment environment, Setup will never throw any query at you. In your posted WINNT.SIF, I enquire, if the following sections are really deleted, does Setup has any problem doing its job Unattended?

[FavoritesEx]

Title1=".url"

URL1="http://www."

Title2=".url"

URL2="http://www."

Home_Page=http://www.

Help_Page=http://www.

Search_Page=http://www.google.com

[iEPopupBlocker]

AllowedSites=www.google.com

Tell me, if we delete them, will Setup ever ask for manual intervention? Probably, not, but no doubt, having them here is a better way to place User's choice. Nonetheless, such entries always ties up WINNT.SIF to a particular choice of options. By "Unnecessary" entries I mean as much as I said.

For further example, just look what I've in my WINNT.SIF until I faced problems with them:

[unattended]

ComputerType = "ACPI Uniprocessor PC", Retail

*:*=> This entry robbed me off any chance to Install in a Laptop. It really tied the WINNT.SIF for a Desktop-oriented Setup.

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

Vrefresh=85

*:*=> Imagine my plight one day with it. One Monitor for which this section is specifically enetred into WINNT.SIF, one day has gone to Service Center; and I searched for my Black-n-White Monitor debunked a long long ago. Guess what happened. Numerous BSOD and reboots confronted me and I couldn't co-habit that Monitor and WINNT.SIF at all. It's thoroughly unnecessary, as Setup is intelligent enough to decide resolution parameters on its own.

I repeat, by "Unnecessary" entries I mean as much as I said.

Now, I need you and Martin, of course, to carefully look at the following entries and inform me, whether these entries are automatically decided by Setup or not, no matter whatever be the Installation environment. In doing so, I'll be able, in company of people like you, to learn about what I call "Lean-Mean" WINNT.SIF.

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=No

Does "NO/YES" here has any direct link with subsequent Sections?

[NetAdapters]

Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]

INFID=*

[NetClients]

MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]

MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

MS_PSched=params.MS_PSched

[NetProtocols]

MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]

DNS=Yes

UseDomainNameDevolution=No

EnableLMHosts=Yes

AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]

SpecificTo=Adapter1

DHCP=Yes

WINS=No

NetBIOSOptions=0

Before suggesting me, please consider both cases of System having Specific Network Adapter or not having any one.

I eagerly await to hear from you....

Edited by MOONLIGHT SONATA