can a PIII handle Windows XP?

Professor Frink

I am going to do a rebuild for a friend, and I was wondering if his PC would handle XP. It is a PIII 1GHZ, with 256 MB of RAM. It is beyond the "minimum requirements" for XP, but I think we all know that those numbers don't mean squat in the real world.

So does anyone think that a 1GHZ PIII will run smoothly? FYI -- this will be for Internet and Office. No gaming or video editing or anything intense like that.

It will run ok. But more RAM will make it noticeably faster.

At work I ran XP on a P3 866 with 256 MB for a while, it worked great and was quite fast.

At my parents place I now run XP on a P3 1266 (previously 933) with 896 MB, that comp runs XP almost as fast as newer ones (faster than many, thanks to a fast HDD, tweaks and keeping it clean).

I am going to do a rebuild for a friend, and I was wondering if his PC would handle XP.  It is a PIII 1GHZ, with 256 MB of RAM. It is beyond the "minimum requirements" for XP, but I think we all know that those numbers don't mean squat in the real world.

So does anyone think that a 1GHZ PIII will run smoothly? FYI -- this will be for Internet and Office. No gaming or video editing or anything intense like that.

That's what my parents have (Athlon 1GHz, but pretty much the same back then), and it does the job great. My dad even does some basic image editing on it.

I am going to do a rebuild for a friend, and I was wondering if his PC would handle XP.  It is a PIII 1GHZ, with 256 MB of RAM. It is beyond the "minimum requirements" for XP, but I think we all know that those numbers don't mean squat in the real world.

Considering Intel released the PIIIe at around May 2001 and Windows XP came out in September 2001, your PC is cutting edge technology as far as XP is conserned. Most people who bought XP back then didn't have anything close to the power of your computer (Except those who bought XP with a new PC).

I considered my PC to be a near top of the range rig back in 2001 and that was a Duron 800Mhz overclocked to 1050MHz.