Is Encrypting the Admin Password possible?

mkong

Hi....

Was wondering if there was a way to encrypt the admin password after an install?

Here's my situation:

1). Created Slipstream CD with unattend on.

2). Did not encrypt password to enable autologon.

** Note:

I know that in order to autologon, you cannot use the encrypted password option in Winnt.sif based on this webpage:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...12394#appliesto

3). Password is showing up on registry unencrypted.

Is there anyway for me to encrypt the password after the install?

Once the computer is joined to the work domain, it'll be set to NOT autologon by the server. All I need to do is to encrypt the password so that not every person will know what the admin password is.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Melvyn

If your PC joins a domain, it won't use autologon as you said.

So why not just cancel autologon by deleting the autologon entries in the registry after install?

(The admin pw is 'encrypted' in the SAM so it's possible to do it, but this is not used by autologon.)

Thanks for the replies.

First of all....I would just like to inform you that we've finally figured out a way to do this. Not very efficient but works for wot we're trying to do.

The reason we wanted to autologon is just because we're lazy. We've got a few applications to auto install with the slipstream CD. And we would prefer to just not getup from our lazy asses until the unattended is completely done. Just lazy.

Anyway, all we did was to change out the password of the administrator account after joining to the domain and the password does not show up on the registry anymore.

Not really sure how that works....but wished I have a better understanding of it.

Anyway....too many other issues we have to take care of and since we have a quick solution for it right now, we'll use it.

Thanks again.

I never understood this.

Doesn't auto logon defeat the purpose of having a password in the first place?

A password is intended to keep people out from using your machine or accessing your files.

If you auto login, what is the point of the password?