File Sharing?

cancer10

I have 2 PCs in my home, 1 with windows 2003 and 2nd one with XP professional.

They are connected through LAN and a HUB.

Both are under the same workgroup "MSHOME".

Now, here is my problem, I formatted the 2nd PC and reinstalled XP in it. And now the file sharing is not working while it was working fine before the format, am I missing something?

PS: I am not good at networking, my brother had setup the network last time but since he is out of station I am helpless.... :(

Please guide me...

On the XP machine, in windows explorer. Tools > Options > View Tab > Uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'. Make sure you can ping the router, dns server and the 2003 machine. You may want to setup shares, do this through the console in admin tools. Be sure on the network connction of the XP machine you also have file 'File and Printer' sharing enabled. Be sure the Server & Workstation services are also set to manual.

• 2 weeks later...
On the XP machine, in windows explorer.  Tools > Options > View Tab > Uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing'.  Make sure you can ping the router, dns server and the 2003 machine.  You may want to setup shares, do this through the console in admin tools.  Be sure on the network connction of the XP machine you also have file 'File and Printer' sharing enabled.  Be sure the Server & Workstation services are also set to manual.

I have the same problem.

Setting up a shared folder on a Windows 2003 Standard Server machine.

The XP client fails to find the share when attempting to map a network drive.

The XP machine also fails to see the 2003 machine in My Network Places.

I can ping the 2003 machine, the router, and the DNS server which is at the ISP.

I can connect to the 2003 machine via Remote Desktop. I can connect to the XP machine from the 2003 machine.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

B)