ERD via RIS?

ixion

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to deploy via RIS a windows PE image like Sysinternals/Wininternals ERD disk (emergency repair disk) which will boot from RIS?

If anyone doesnt know what the ERD is, its basically a windows PE boot CD which takes you into a PE OS and has various tools for troubleshooting fudged operating systems etc

Also, is it possible for me to build my own PE "install" with various tools and have this bootable from RIS?

If answers the above are yes, could you please tell me where I should start Im finding RIS and PE documentation a bit loosly thrown together and difficult to understand. Once I know which steps I should be taking I can then go find the relevant documentation - I just dont know where to start

Yes you can load ERD, WinPE, or BartPE from RIS. It's pretty simple from what I understand, although there have been issues where you don't get network access when the image has booted, because the PXE/RIS is using the network to deliver the files. There are ways around this, but I have never had a chance to try any.

As I understand it, you would simply copy the contents of the CD to a new folder in your RIS images folder...normally that's located:

\\Server\REMINST\Setup\English\Images

That's the UNC, but it's the most universal way to explain where the files go. You would make a new directory there and then copy the CD to it. There are other steps, but that's the simple explanation.

As for your other question, yes you can make your own WinPE. ERD is special in that all of the code is done by Winternals, and because of that you can't really duplicate the tools or features of it. WinPE is M$'s sanctioned tool, but this can only be had if you jump through whatever hoops M$ sets. I think you need to at least be a part of their OEM group.

BartPE is the golden child of it all...it's similar to WinPE but doesn't require all those steps...you just need a copy of WinXP or Win2003 and the program PEBuilder. The beauty of this application is that there is a ton of user support, and you can customize the hell outta it. Even though we have a sub-forum here for WinPE, the best place to find out more about BartPE is at their official forums:

http://www.911cd.net/forums

Be warned, making a custom BartPE is a very big task, but nothing impossible. If you've made an Unattended CD then you shouldn't have any problems crafting a BartPE CD.

Here are some links to more info on booting ERD/WinPE/BartPE from RIS:

http://staff.stir.ac.uk/thomas.speirs/Bart-PE_RIS.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;304992&sd=tech

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...&st=20&p=76574&

thanks for your post, I am some of the way but I have run into that networking issue you mentioned. RIS has locked the NIC and WinPE/BartPE cannot detect the card.

I need to work around this, adding additional NIC's is not an option as I want to role this out as an enterprise solution to imaging/thin client/ERD tools

Okay, so I think the issue is that we need to use newer files...I've been seeing that certain files from Windows 2003 SP1 solve a lot of RIS/PXE issues.

One, there seems to be some info that suggests replacing a few files within BartPE from a Windows 2003 SP1 source. Check that last link I posted earlier, down towards the bottom it talks briefly about it.

Another option would be to try and load the ISO into the local computers RAM. This too is a new feature with Windows 2003 SP1:

http://msdn.labtech.epitech.net/cs/blogs/j...02/22/2296.aspx

I've never tried that, but looks promising. Of course, you would need a decent amount of RAM on the local machine, as a good chuck would be taken up by the ISO.

All this info is aimed mainly at BartPE, since they are the ones who really seem to 'hack' this stuff...if you are using WinPE or ERD, then I would assume it's similar, but I can't comment on it.

Ok, I have obtained PE 2005 now so I will have access to the factory and netsetup files required to overcome this issue.

Now that I have PE however I thought I would give it a quick go. I am now using a different laptop to the one I was using before, a new one. When I try boot PE from RIS it tells me that the image I am using does not support my network card. Could someone point me in the direction of some info on how to add NIC drivers to PE images please

Stuart

Edited by ixion

ok, I've also figured that bit out now but have another problem. the "please wait" black screen with the progress bar at the bottom reaches the end but it doesnt proceed any further - it doesnt get into the GUI just sits at this stage...

Any ideas?

It could be driver related. I've had problems with Yukon drivers as well, only not these problems. I only experienced these problems with nVidia nics and on certain Asus motherboards without (it sounds strange, I know) PCI cards installed.

You could try other Yukon drivers. They differ a lot.

Furthermore, what motherboard do you have?

Figures... don't know about that one.

I would try other Yukon drivers. Also, it could be that your PXE ROM version of the Yukon nic needs an update, but so far I only needed an update for the nVidia nics. Yukon always worked for me, but I've had to experiment with different drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Im trying to boot Winpe2005 from RIS, I followed the instructions on the MS site and am running into a problem when starting

I'm having the exact same problem with three different NIC's. Intel Pro 1000,

Yukon 1000 and a broadcom 1000 - it just stops after the loading white line thingy reaches the right hand side (finishes loading) before it enters the GUI - just sits there. Any ideas?

Both Intel and Broadcom need special RIS drivers. The Intel ones you can find on the Intel site. You can find more info on this subject on: Link

And if you haven't tried yet: try to reboot the binlsvc service in order to make the clients look for new/updated drivers.