Win98SE SP2 Modem problem

redwingtech

erpdude8 : Ya i've tried the driver uninstall and reinstall to no avail.  I'll try moving it to another PCI slot and see how goes.

Cheers

RedwingTech

Before you actually move the modem to another slot, un-install the USR modem drivers first. then shut down your PC and move the modem to a different PCI slot, turn on PC, and re-install drivers. you might also try un-installing Win98se's Dialup Networking software and re-installing it. I read somewhere in the USR modem manual that the modem may not work properly if it is sharing an IRQ with another device and thus may require transferring the modem into another available slot.

and if you still have problems after trying the suggestions above, you might as well have to live without Gape's 98se pack or use another modem. try asking a friend who also owns a US robotics modem to see if yours could be defective. it is quite possible that the USR modem you have might be defective. You can also try testing your modem on a different computer with either 98se or a different version of Windows to see if the problem is specific to your computer.

You may want to post here ALL the system resource settings that your USR modem uses.

Look in Device Manager or the MS System Information tool to see what resources your devices are using.

Edited by erpdude8

erpdude8

Thanks for going the extra mile here. This problem has happened with multpile different computers and multiple different 5699 modems. I've made it a priority to test the functionality of them out before running SP2 and no problems. But once SP2 installed the modem has the problem.

I haven't run into another one yet but as soon as i do i'll try SP2 and try another PCI slot. I'll keep things posted.

Cheers

RedwingTech.

erpdude8

Thanks for going the extra mile here. This problem has happened with multpile different computers and multiple different 5699 modems. I've made it a priority to test the functionality of them out before running SP2 and no problems. But once SP2 installed the modem has the problem.

I haven't run into another one yet but as soon as i do i'll try SP2 and try another PCI slot. I'll keep things posted.

Cheers

RedwingTech.

Also, RedwingTech try testing out the modems with different versions of Windows such as Windows 2000, Millennium or XP even. the problem may be Windows related and may just occur with Win98se only w/ the SP.

You may also want to run SFC.EXE (system file checker) from the Windows\System folder to check if some of the Win98se system files may be corrupted.

Edited by erpdude8

Another thing you may want to do is after installing the Win98se SP2 pack, try using the original 98SE released version of the VCOMM.VXD file. This file is stored in the Windows\System\Vmm32 folder. open System File Checker [sfc.exe] and click on the button to extract a system file from the Win98se setup .cab files, specify the vcomm.vxd file and save it into the 'Windows\System\Vmm32' folder.

btw - about the 630 error problem I had with my USR 5699B modem. I was using WinME, not Win98se. sorry for not specifying what version of Windows I was using.

the USR modem I have uses IRQ 10 and it's on COM3. I had to make sure that serial port 2 is disabled from BIOS setup so that Windows can properly detect and operate the modem on COM3.

erpdude8

Got another one of these 5699 modems.

Fresh install Win98SE

Tested modem BEFORE SP2 install - connects and reconnects ok

AFTER SP2 install connects but 630 error if you try to reconnect. Have to reboot to connect again.

- tried another PCI slot - no joy

- re-install 98SE and DID NOT install MDM DRV. Then updated to SP2 and installed MDM DRV -- no joy

will note more as i try it

RedwingTech

Yikes!

ran sfc - no problems

log notes;

104 folders examined.

1268 files examined.

397 files added to verification data file.

0 files removed from verification data file.

330 files updated in verification data file.

0 files restored.

0 file changes ignored.

Try this,click ctrl,alt delete and end task rnaapp and try to reconnect. Please post a modem log also. Do you have a nic or lan card installed? What port is the modem on,might disable that port in the bios and reinstall the modem. You do not need the modem port listed in the device manager because these modems use software ports. If is is disable it. Check for any programs in the startup folder also. make sure you do not have any modem strings in extra setting.

Edited by charles__

erpdude8

Got another one of these 5699 modems.

Fresh install Win98SE

Tested modem BEFORE SP2 install - connects and reconnects ok

AFTER SP2 install connects but 630 error if you try to reconnect. Have to reboot to connect again.

- tried another PCI slot - no joy

- re-install 98SE and DID NOT install MDM DRV. Then updated to SP2 and installed MDM DRV -- no joy

will note more as i try it

RedwingTech

Yikes!

ran sfc - no problems

log notes;

104 folders examined.

1268 files examined.

397 files added to verification data file.

0 files removed from verification data file.

330 files updated in verification data file.

0 files restored.

0 file changes ignored.

have you tried restoring the VCOMM.VXD file to the original version after installing the 98se SP2 pack?

there are 3 kinds of 5699 modems, one is 5699, one is 5699A, the other is 5699B; I use the third one.

also, RedwingTech can you specify what resources your 5699 modems are using (like IRQs, memory addresses and I/O settings). Run System Information or Device Manager to get the resource settings of your modem.

See any of the following USR Support pages on the 5699 modems---

005699-00 support page:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5699

3CP5699A support page:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5699a

USR5699B support page:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5699b

Edited by erpdude8

Thanks for all your help guys. I think this issue is dead. I've tried restoring vcomm.vxd after installing SP2 - no joy.

I took the time to play around. The 5699 ( not A or B ) works fine with no unofficial service packs. I dug up SP1 v1.6.2 had the same problem. I guess i just never noticed before.

I appriciate all the time you guys made giving suggestions.

RedwingTech

Thanks for all your help guys. I think this issue is dead. I've tried restoring vcomm.vxd after installing SP2 - no joy.

I took the time to play around. The 5699 ( not A or B ) works fine with no unofficial service packs. I dug up SP1 v1.6.2 had the same problem. I guess i just never noticed before.

I appriciate all the time you guys made giving suggestions.

RedwingTech

your welcome, RedwingTech. I can assume you are really using the 5699 [model # 005699-00] and neither 5699A nor 5699B. The 5699 modem drivers are more than 5 1/2 years old and the modem I think may not be compatible with Win98 and higher versions of Windows as I've checked the 5699 modem downloads page. The 5699 drivers are only for Win95 & NT4.

I think you should dump that 5699 modem (since it is too old & maybe past its prime) and get the one I have [5699B] which should be fully compatible with the 98SE SP2 pack and the latest drivers are more than a year old. My longtime friend has a US Robotics 56k modem [model no, 5660] which is fully compatible with Win98se, 2000, ME & XP and the 5660 modem drivers are WHQL logo'ed (aka. digitially signed) by Microsoft. I bought the US Robotics 5699b modem at a computer electronics store in the summer of 2004. you should buy a newer USR modem than the one you have since newer 56k modems may be fully V.92 compliant.

-erpdude8

Edited by erpdude8

• 6 months later...

:hello:

Did anyone ever figure out an answer for, a new user, to this problem ? Short of replacing the modem ?

Should I have missed it while reading the postings, a pointing in the right direction is appreciated.

:unsure:

Been awhile since last post So hoping joy

Edited by Fennco

:hello:

Did anyone ever figure out an answer for, a new user, to this problem ? Short of replacing the modem ?

Should I have missed it while reading the postings, a pointing in the right direction is appreciated.

:unsure:

Been awhile since last post So hoping joy

what kind of modem do you use, Fennco. If it is an old USR modem, you might want to get a new one or a different brand of 56k modem (internal modems are really cheap and affordable; some internal modems sold are between $10 to $30).

I no longer any dialup modems anymore as my brother got the wireless router/DSL modem from AT&T/SBC last week. now using broadband internet connection [YAY! WOO-HOO!]

Edited by erpdude8

I no longer any dialup modems anymore as my brother got the wireless router/DSL modem from AT&T/SBC last week. now using broadband internet connection [YAY! WOO-HOO!]
As a long-term denizen of the no-phone-line-modem-limited Internet, I officially welcome you! :thumbup

Happy downloading!

cjl (Optimum Boost - Upload 2.1 MBps, Download 28.4 MBps, FIOS not yet available)

As a long-term denizen of the no-phone-line-modem-limited Internet, I officially welcome you! :thumbup

Happy downloading!

cjl (Optimum Boost - Upload 2.1 MBps, Download 28.4 MBps, FIOS not yet available)

You said it, CLASYS. My brother and I are NEVER going back to dialup internet. Dialup is so last century. Broadband is the presnet and the wave of the future.

I need to explain to Fennco that the US Robotics modem drivers for model no. 005699-00 are for Win95/NT4 only and those drivers (and the actual modem itself) may not even be fully compatible with Win98, 2000 & higher versions of Windows. even a firmware update for the USR 005699-00 modem may not be good enough to work with Win98se with the unofficial 98se SP2.x pack. Therefore, it would be best to just get a newer 56k modem or even upgrade to broadband internet service such as cable or DSL since the 5699 modem drivers are never going to be updated for full compatibility with Win98/2k/ME/XP.

-erpdude