Win98SE SP2 Modem problem

redwingtech

I also use a USR Winmodem (but model no. 5699B), and encountered a 630 error message a few times. What I did was remove the modem driver, shut down the PC, take out the USR modem and insert it into another PCI expansion slot, turn on the PC and re-installed the drivers. the modem worked flawlessly and I can reconnect after disconnecting.

maybe the modem might be inserted into an unreliable slot. try removing the modem and put it into a different slot. Good thing I've been reading my brother's computer repair book on how to change computer parts.

I never had that problem.

But before getting another US Robotics 5699B modem, after a T-storm, a US Robotics 5699B I had acted possessed, Windows all of a sudden would most of the time say "There was no dial tone" or similar and refuse to even dial, even when the telephone line was fine and after reinstalling Windows!! Then sometimes, it will dial and Windows says that it's connected, but all of the web browsers fail to find any web site, no matter what!! :realmad: Obviously, that was because the modem got damaged by a spike.

That was the only time that I ever had Windows refuse to dial with a US Robotics 5699B modem.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Did anyone ever figure out an answer for, a new user, to this problem ? Short of replacing the modem ?

Seems the short answer is no, replace video card. :blushing: excuse me meant to say replace modem.

The problem is, after installing unofficial windows 98 se sp, dial-up connection loses the modem after disconecting from a previos use.

So here is what happens, after doing a clean install of windows 98 se , modem works fine, install unofficial windows 98 se sp, user connects,user does thier thing, user disconnects.

After reasonable time, user tries to connect, dial-up connection reads out; Could not detect modem.It maybe in use, turned off, or installed improperly.

So close out of everything restart and open control panel, open modem, go more info everythings OK, close out of all.

Reopen control, modem, more info, get; OpenCom [title], Port already open {message}, and a default active button labeled OK

click on OK and am sent to the More Info... window which shows Port Information box and a box with modem identifier and an empty white rectangle then has another OK button click OK and sent back to Modems Properties page.

Close out restart and as with dial-up am good for one opening of modem port then must restart to close modem.

Have tried reinstalling and updating modem drivers.

While port is open phone works fine.

The above has been repeated 3 times.

Platform info: Gateway G6-350

350 Pentium II processor

160 MB RAM

formated hard drive

drivers downlowded from Gateway

Modem is; U.S. Robotics 56k Voice Win.

Seems this happened after a microsoft update, done on a previos machine at microsofts update win98 se site, back when microsoft still supported 98se.

So this may not be in the unoffical windows 98 se sp, rather a update from microsoft?

A Thanks for the welcome from erpdude8 and clasys.

Edited by Fennco

These modems use a software port not hardware. I have see this problem before ,fix was to disable the com ports in the bios and reinstall. If com port in the bios is enabled and the modem is installed to that port windows thinks the port is already in use. That is why moving the modem to another pci slot works some times it installs to another port. Might also go to safe mode and see if there is any ghost modem still listed there and remove all and reinstall the modem. Myself I would get a modem with a Agere chip set or use to be lucent. If you have more than one dial up icon in the dial up folder might remove them all and make a new one. Also make sure that log on to network is disabled in the dial up properties and only tcip is check. You will find that with Agere chipset you can get more updated drivers and they will take line noise allot better.

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=oem

Note the age of the drivers and USR will not ever up date them. If you look in the WINMODEM.INF file you can find out more about you modem. You can also run regedit go to local machine,enum,pci

Last Modified 02/03/99, CS, OEM R&D

Check here also.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q150619/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q191444/

Edited by charles__

Did anyone ever figure out an answer for, a new user, to this problem ? Short of replacing the modem ?

Seems the short answer is no, replace video card.

maybe, maybe not. replace video card? that may not be possible if the video feature is built-in the motherboard. why cant you replace the modem? replacing the video card is more expensive than replacing the modem, I guarantee that.

try disabling one of the serial or COM ports in BIOS setup but un-install the modem drivers first then reboot. If internal modem is connected to COM1 or COM3, disable COM1 in BIOS setup. if internal modem is connected to COM2 or COM4 or higher, disable COM2 in BIOS setup. now reboot to win98se and let windows redetect the modem and it'll install the modem using the COM resources that were disabled in BIOS setup. That seem to work on one of my old 98SE computers, even with the 98se service pack installed.

Also Fennco, check the actual internal modem itself. If the modem still does not work then it might have been damaged by a power spike RJARRRPCGP described in his post and should be replaced because the power spike can cause modems to malfunction.

Edited by erpdude8

Seems the short answer is no, replace video card.

maybe, maybe not. replace video card? that may not be possible if the video feature is built-in the motherboard. why cant you replace the modem? replacing the video card is more expensive than replacing the modem, I guarantee that.

also replacing the video card 99.99% of the time does NOTHING to resolve the modem problem with 98se service pack installed. that's barely a dumb solution. changing the modem with a newer and a different brand is the more logical, more economic and more intelligent solution since many internal modems cost less than buying new graphics cards.

• 2 years later...

Resolved! Final Fix for Win98SE SP2 Modem Error 630, 2nd DUN-Connection Attempt Requiring Reboot

01. Save a copy of Vcomm.vxd file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\ into the same folder and rename it to Vcomm.vxd.new

02. Save a copy of WINMODEM.VXD file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ into the same folder and rename it to WINMODEM.VXD.new

03. Click on >Start>Run, type sfc.exe and >OK button to open System File Checker; and

04. Click on the button to extract a system file from the Win98se setup .cab files, specify the Vcomm.vxd file and save it into the same C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\ folder.

05. Close all, properly restart, and your 2nd DUN-Connection attempt should fail again.

06. Click on >Start>Run, type sfc.exe and >OK button to open System File Checker; and

07. Click on the button to extract a system file from the Win98se setup .cab files, specify the WINMODEM.VXD file and save it into the same C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder.

08. Close all, properly restart, and now even your FIRST DUN-Connection attempt should fail and generate a new error! (Don't panic! Apparently, this is needed to finalize the restoration of the new Vcomm.vxd file with the old one!)

09. In Windows Explorer, rename the restored, old WINMODEM.VXD file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ as WINMODEM.VXD.old and

10. Rename the WINMODEM.VXD.new copy file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ as WINMODEM.VXD (i.e. use the new one again!)

11. Close all, properly restart, and now your modem should work like a charm! (No more "error 630"!)

Post your successes/failures or your questions.

I wish you good luck!

Wiz :whistle:

P.S. This fix is partly based on solution by erpdude8, posted on 10-10-05 on this very topic (Thank you, erpdude8 & others who tried their best to help):

"[T]ry using the original 98SE released version of the VCOMM.VXD file... stored in the Windows\System\Vmm32 folder. open System File Checker [sfc.exe] and click on the button to extract a system file from the Win98se setup .cab files, specify the vcomm.vxd file and save it into the 'Windows\System\Vmm32' folder."