upgrade BIOS

el_rob3

Open dell's webpage and type your model in search. I think dell even has a 'detect my computer' option that will take you to the support page for your model. Look through the drivers and updates for your bios update. Most newer computers will autoupdate the bios w/o special bootdisks by clicking on the *.exe you just downloaded. Otherwise, you will d/l a utility that will make a floppy with the bios update on it, just restart after that and let it do it's thing.

If everything is working fine and you haven't come across a reason to update other that to simply update, general rule of thumb is to leave it be (though I never do :rolleyes: )

They're on the Dell site, it's a self extracting file that makes the floppy. Just stick it in the floppy reboot and it runs like a DOS disk. It takes about a minute. Pull out the floppy and reboot. Dell doesn't offer a lot of updates for their bios. They make them on a need be basis. If your starting up normally with the floppy in the set in the slot try this. On Dell systems if your running the 4100 when the machine is starting to boot tap the delete key and you will ener the BIOS. Tap the left arrow key til you get to the second to the last tab, tap the down arrow key to 1st boot device and set it to floppy. Got to last tab and went it asks save changes press enter and reboot. Then try again with the floppy in tha A: drive slot.

Edited by George27