Dust in RAM slots

BombaTwist

for some reason dust got in my ram slots, im guessing its from the CPU fan. i was wondering what should i do to clean it up. just clean the outside dust and leave the dust that got inside in alone or do something to clean the insides of the slot? thanks.

1) remove side panal from case.

2) duct tape case to top of car.

3) enter car wash.

4) let dry

5) fill case with foam insulation to eliminate future dust build-up (make sure to install RAM first)

6) reinstall side panal

:)

lol have you tried this before with your computer? if you did and would take pics i would probably attempt this with mines :). and the canned air thing sounds great!

canned air and a vaccum with a hose. use both at the same time, the canned air will move/lossen the dust and the vaccum will suck it out of there. now you need to decide on how to prevent this in the futue, you can either use fan filters which need to be cleaned every week or you can just clean the case a few times a year.

canned air and a vaccum with a hose. use both at the same time, the canned air will move/lossen the dust and the vaccum will suck it out of there. now you need to decide on how to prevent this in the futue, you can either use fan filters which need to be cleaned every week or you can just clean the case a few times a year.

Yeah, as a bonus -- the vacuum cleaner will sometimes generate a huge static charge. Then all your problems will be over.

Yeah, as a bonus -- the vacuum cleaner will sometimes generate a huge static charge. Then all your problems will be over.

Yep, was just about to mention this myself. Cleaning with a vacuum can be a very costly exercise, due to above reason (probably more damage than the car wash idea tbh - At least it'll dry). Just go for a bit of compressed air.

but it will un-clog the ram slots tho ;)

just keep squirting the compressed air can til its all gone.

Also, i believe you can get batt powered mini-compressors / air blowers that should achieve what your after too

I was gonna get one but the supplier turned ugly lol

compressed air can's can be expensive - tho not for just individual use tho :D

Cheers

N.

Initally I would have said the canned air, but something just came to mind reading all the other "ditto" replies...

If you have a buddy with a compressor (and the appropriate nozzle), lug your box over there (or if your buddy's really cool, have them drag that to your place :D ).

Anyways... the compressor option would hopefully be free, and works far more effectively than canned air. (way more pressure).

If you go the canned air route, and the can starts getting cold and low pressure, you can usually get a little more bang for your buck by running warm/hot water over the sides. Don't do this for too long as you dont want it to explode!

Either way, I wouldn't use a brush or any physical contact with the slot.

If you have a buddy with a compressor (and the appropriate nozzle), lug your box over there (or if your buddy's really cool, have them drag that to your place  :D ).

Anyways... the compressor option would hopefully be free, and works far more effectively than canned air. (way more pressure).

Whoops - forgot to add that bit, but i thought what is the likelyhood of that, and didnt put it in the post lol

Its the definitive way if you/a friend has one and by far (with care) the best way ;)

Either way, I wouldn't use a brush or any physical contact with the slot.

Agreed, although you can get anti-static brushes for this sort of thing - but I dunno how full-proof they are ;)

Cheers :thumbup

Nath