how to enable fast back to back transaction

kurt476

hi, i found a feature this was hidden from me it's call fast back to back transaction if you see belowe i uploaded a files that i gather a report on my pc to see if any thing i really didn't know so here the file is.

if you know how to enable fast back to back transaction please post asap here thank you.

dose anybudy know how to do this?

two options in the bios or windows xp ;)

Report.htm

me either untill i seen this option on my IBM pc i'm like hmmm is to speed up the pc or something ;) i know disabling delay of writing to the hard drive speed that up ;)

fast back to back transaction has to be tested i would like too see if this option dose anyways there has to be away to enable this?

oh umm if you know how i can test this out please tell me what program that is able to tell me too see what this dose.

Well it looks like this is a feature of the chipset...here's a what a PDF on Intel's website has to say about it:

When fast back-to-back operation is enabled, the 21555 can initiate a sequence of posted memory write transactions without inserting an idle cycle between them, assuming all other conditions are met (That is, GNT# is asserted, and STOP# was not asserted for the previous write transaction). The 21555 implements primary and secondary fast back-to-back enables in the primary and secondary command configuration registers. These bits are set when possible to reduce PCI overhead.

I kinda see what it's talking about...looks like it would be a nice feature to have. However, I can't find any info on actually using or enabling the feature. Maybe someone else will have a idea?

well i did a google on it found This

will start researching a little bit more, that link is rather old hardware but might have a little bit more insite into it i havent read to much of it

seems like its motherboard specific like if your mobo supports it or not. can be fore pci, cpu,ram

Edited by Ex0dus

@Ex0dus nice researching. i was trying to find some info my self, i could find a single tweak at all on this ;) thank you guy's for helping me :thumbup i'll even try to help find this option some how ;)

Edited by kurt476

Well, if it is controlled by the chipset, then you would normally do that in the BIOS. But I've never seen that setting in any BIOS I've ever touched, and I've seen almost all of them.

It looks more like this was an idea that really never got supported, or just kinda fell through the cracks. If your board is an Intel 81x class chipset then it's quite old. I think you're probably never going to get it enabled, and even if you do by now it can't be that big of a speed improvement or everyone would be doing it.

Not that you shouldn't try, but at some point you just gotta give up...Good Luck!

• 9 months later...

I have been Building coputers for some time and i toke about 15 minutes to look up this and have come to find you probly wouldn't want this enabled unless you had a very good resone to. becouse all it does is anable pci card to talk to each other see intells paper on this http://www.intel.com/design/bridge/applnots/27838101.pdf if any body come up with any more info let me know though my BFG Physix card Supports this feature