Server Question - IIS

smithxi

i've had my website running for some time now, and i'm wondering if i can avoid server charges by turning my computer into the server. is this possible with a program called iis? just wondering if it's possible for a web page to pull files from my computer when the domain is listed? thanks.

yes.. the problem that you may run into is if you dont have a static ip address then you will have to order up DNS management for your domain with a dynamic dns provider.

You can do this a number of ways.. Either IIS or Apache..

if you are a beginner, then i recommend IIS. If you know what apache can do for you... use apache.

Then all you would need to do is migrate your website to your home pc and forward the ports you need(most likely just port 80) to your computer

yes.. the problem that you may run into is if you dont have a static ip address then you will have to order up DNS management for your domain with a dynamic dns provider.

You can do this a number of ways.. Either IIS or Apache..

if you are a beginner, then i recommend IIS. If you know what apache can do for you... use apache.

Then all you would need to do is migrate your website to your home pc and forward the ports you need(most likely just port 80) to your computer

where can i download IIS? and is it free?

i know it's a microsoft product and that it comes with nt, but does it come with xp or office or anything?

Edited by smithxi

where can i download IIS?  and is it free?

i know it's a microsoft product and that it comes with nt, but does it come with xp or office or anything?

IIS is a part of Windows XP Pro. I'm not sure if it is included with XP Home, but I don't believe so. It can be installed via the Windows Components Wizard.

Edited by Cartoonite

thank you very much.

is it going to be possible for me to set up webmail?

and is it possible to setup any free domain that i choose?

if not, how will i direct my current domain to this server, through IP?

Edited by smithxi

At your level (no pun intended) I think you will be much better off if starting with searching around for informative pages that could give you the whole picture..perhaps a "start your own" tutorial/guidelines......must be a zillion of them out there. :)