IEXPLORE.EXE not responding

davidwp

Hi,

New guy here - senior citizen - about average home user but not good with operating system problems. This looks like a great site - hope someone can help with this one:

I am getting my Dell 8400 with XP Pro back in operation after the second big Maxtor hard drive crash in the past 4 months. A new problem during shutdown is a repeating "End Program - IEXPLORE.EXE" window that requires as many as 8 "End Now" commands to finally allow shutdown.

I have Googled the problem and have done some searches here but am further confused about what IEXPLORE.EXE actually is and how to get rid of the "Not responding" window. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

David

PS: The 8400 came with dual 250 gig Maxtor hard drives in Raid 0 format. After this second crash, I upgraded to dual Seagate 300 gig drives and changed to Raid 1 config.

Edited by davidwp

Hi, David, welcome to the forum. :welcome:

IEXPLORE.exe is the the Internet Explorer executable file, although it could also be another file masquarading as IE. You could try searching your hard drive for all files with that name; if the only result is one in your Windows directory, you are probably safe.

As to your shutdown difficulties, I'm affraid I can't shed much light. Are you experiencing any other issues with the PC? Even things that aren't obviously related could ultimately help determine the cause of this one.

Hi C,

Thanks for the response.

A search for IEXPLORE.EXE yielded the following two responses:

Name - In Folder - Size - Type - Date Modified

IEXPLORE - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer - 91 KB - Application - 8/12/2004 8:19 AM

IEXPLORE.EXE - C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch - 63 KB - PF File - 9/12/2005 8:03 PM

That second one looked a little strange to me so I Googled around and found out it is legitimate also. Discussions all centered around "to clean out" or "not to clean out" the Prefetch file in order to improve boot times (Testing and Microsoft testimonials indicated that it was best to leave it alone.) None of the discussions identified a shutdown problem like mine that might be caused by Prefetch.

Other problems I am having include:

dww.exe-DLL

Initialization Failed

"Failed to Initialize because Windows is shutting down"

(I also Googled this one tonight and found that it has many possible causes and that the possible solutions are far beyond my cybergeezer capability.)

Another new problem that I am having since the hard drive replacement is with hyperlinks in emails. When I click on one I get a "beep, beep" and the computer locks up.

Any thoughts about any of this?

Regards,

Welcome to the Forum David. I would recommend running some spyware applications like Ad-Aware, Microsoft Anti Spyware and Spybot S&D. In addition to these, I would run CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) to remove any files that are not needed and may be corrupting your IE in temp files. Also... goto start > run..., > type 'cmd' <enter> > then type sfc /scannow <enter> to make sure that all your system files are intact. Hope this helps. Later.

Sounds to me like both your errors are IE-related. Ringfinger's suggestions are all good. Follow them and hopefully you will be able to locate the cause of your troubles.

If not, the only thing that comes quickly to mind is that there is a problem w/ IE itself. Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy way to re-install IE. Since it is such an integral part of Windows, MS doesn't let you simply choose whether or not it should be installed.

You could try running the recovery console from your Windows CD if nothing else seems to be working.

Also... goto start > run..., > type 'cmd' <enter> > then type sfc /scannow <enter> to make sure that all your system files are intact.  Hope this helps.  Later.

Ringfinger,

Thanks for the welcome, good to be here.

I tried your last suggestion first but nothing unusual was found. Will be tied up a day or so but will try the others soon.

Cartoonite,

Thanks for your support also. Will let you both know what happens,

Alright, have you ever ran any type of spyware apps? If no, then Ad-Aware is gonna go crazy finding all kinds of things along with all the others as well. Hopefully it'll fix whatever's wrong and I would recommend running all those apps atleast once a week. Just FYI about CCLeaner and Ad-Aware, it will detect and delete your cookies unless otherwise told not to. So if you want to keep them don't select them for deletion. I would delete all of them and start out fresh, but thats just me. Good luck.