so i used xpize on win2k

supadodger

Just wondering any new developments on this.

X2K is currently to target works like XPize :D and even it's get supported from XPize creator itself (XPero) :D

as you can see much of screenshot on this "abandoned" (last post is -I- on Dec 5 2005, 03:40 PM) much likely same as earlier X2K screenshot :D, now thinking about WinSkin (Windows Skinning App we use on Alpha Test), WinTask (currently hold and use LiteStep instead) and WinShutdown look if we use it together with X2K? :D

I use XPize on all my W2k boxes, using the IconViewer program I posted earlier. It would be awesome though if XPize itself could detect W2k and automatically run IconViewer on the icons before installing them...IconViewer is designed to be runnable in unattended mode for exactly this purpose...

If you go to the TClock3 thread in the Win2k forum section you'll see that the screenshots show XPized icons as well... :whistle:

It would be awesome though if XPize itself could detect W2k and automatically run IconViewer on the icons before installing them...IconViewer is designed to be runnable in unattended mode for exactly this purpose...

my personal answer :

yes, we can use XPize with Win2000, but natively XPize didn't designed to be able to customize further Win2000 (you would get some trouble with system files :D).

as you can see even default shell32.dll replacement on XPize wouldn't work on all item (cause simply, they not there) so we need some other application that maybe "bad" for some user (especially noobs :D).

some solution for this is make something similar with XPize but natively build and tested for Win2000 and referse engineering or anything else (the main is using XPize resource) without permission (from it's creator, XPero) is "bad", especially if we distribute it and claim it as ourself works (thanks god, i never seen people did that in this topic).

This take me to the idea that some people should ask XPero for his permission to make something like XPize on Win2000, and i get it (together with his installer system), then it called X2K for official. :D

However this just personal opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey WildBill, long time no see....

For my own use I touched up the "Windows xp" logon .BMPs so they read "Windows 2000" instead. I could probably send them to Ðrзω™ to host if people want them

Post 'em up. I always go for the full meal deal.

Thanks again.

Edited by Squeeto

Got it. Thanks.

I notice that with the banners, 2 have dates '1985-2001' and one has '1985-2005'. I like 2005 (or 2006 even better :D ). Trivial maybe, but I still get jabbed for using 2000 and a fresh new date to go with the new look would be kewl.

Edited: Sorry went back over your previous notes and found my answer. :blushing:

Edited by Squeeto

Okay, here are the custom images I use on my setup. It's a bit tricky getting XPize to load the browseui stuff. You might have to load them manually with ResHacker. I'm using XPIze 4.2 with halfway-decent results...

Images ZIP

ill mirror those files 2moro for you wildbill :D

there only trouble is creating the images.

because im pretty (d*mn) sure if we would start a project to get all there resources togethere, Xpero wouldn't mind building the setup for us...

but i think a list of all the resources that 2k uses would be a great beginning.

so we could post them on a site (maybe in tumb).

a second step would be to create some kind of template to work from,

after that probably anyone with sufficient scill could pick up a few resources and fill in the details and we'd have all the required images in no-time...

Tried your technique (software) and it fixes the alpha blending for the icons. I used XPize version 4.4.2 Lite and a lot of icons get missed. I know that this is a fill-in for XP which has many to begin with but I notice that you even get new desktop icons that I don't.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...64148&st=30

Are you using other software for this?

See my pic too.

i think a list of all the resources that 2k uses would be a great beginning.

I wonder if Bugs Bunny could give us a hand with this?

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=74641

I looked for a few hours for a 32bit alpha-blend icon patch for W2k but found nothing. Well there is a Win2000TrayPatch but I don't think that this is the same thing.

98 Revolutions is nice work. Too bad it can't be used for 2000. Or can it?? That's what they said about XPize!

post-81494-1154306586_thumb.png

The Icons in my screenshot weren't fixed by TClock3 (though now that I think about it, that just might be possible from a technical standpoint), they were processed with IconViewer. IconViewer lets you add entire folders of stuff to process, so I told it to process everything that XPize was using. My desktop icons came with XPize...I originally started with XPize 4.0 and now I'm running XPize 4.2.

Edit...well it looks like getting alpha-blended icons to work natively in Win2k will be much harder than I thought, but it's not all bad...I did manage to implement XP-like shadows around the text...

post-68113-1154404631_thumb.jpg

Edited by WildBill

I originally started with XPize 4.0 and now I'm running XPize 4.2.

I tried with 4.4.2, I'll try the earlier version and see if I get the desktop icons. At least that will be ok for now (until the whole set is worked out).

• 4 weeks later...