Question about File Sharing

cumminbk

I have a network setup with my roommates and my computer. We all share music and movies with eachother over this network. However for some reason we are able to delete and rename and move shared files straight off each others computers. I

Is it possable to only allow shared files to be copied from one computer to another so that nothing can be changed. In my shared folder (which is not my Shared Docs folder) i do not have "Allow network users to change my files" checked so i dont see why shared folders can be edited/deleted.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have it set up right. On my home network, unchecking the box "Allow network users to change my files" does just what you want it to. Maybe try checking the box, then hit "Apply", then "Ok", then going back and unchecking it (hitting Apply and OK again) and seeing if XP shows the message "Changing folder permissions".

I know it works for me if I do it for the entire disk drive. I have not tried it on individual folders, though.

Maybe one of the gurus here will give you some pointers.

@circumflatulator well i tried what you said and check the box to allow users to change my shared files. It then changed the folder permissions. So then i unchecked it and it did not change folder permissions... i dont get it. I could share the entire drive i guess but i really rather not if i dont have to...

@vando2k I dont have a security tab in my folder options. just General, Sharing, and Customize. There is a security section under sharing. is that what you are talking about?

I dont have a security tab in my folder options

=> you need to disable Simple File Sharing (in XP Pro) first;

Then in the Sharing Tab > permissions

allow the highlighted user only read/write

If possible, remove Everyone and Full Control apart from yourself.

There're more options in the folder Security tab but if configured correctly in the Sharing tab you won't need to modify anything there.

Edited by Takeshi

hmmmm so i think i messed something up. I can no longer changes ettings under the security tab. Every option ecept for Edit is grayed out and when i click Edit everything in that window is also grayed out. what did i do? can i change it back to default settings some how?

hmmmm so i think i messed something up. I can no longer changes ettings under the security tab. Every option ecept for Edit is grayed out and when i click Edit everything in that window is also grayed out. what did i do? can i change it back to default settings some how?

Unfortunately, sounds like you've found out the hard way why Microsoft created the Simple File Sharing option.

Sounds to me like you've removed your own account from having access to the folder. You will likely need to log in using an Administrator account and "Take ownership" of the folder in order to be able to reset permissions.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

i am the administator how do i retake control of this folder. Also i did not remove any accounts i just changed settings in the Everyone chategory. for some reason i though this would effect everyone other than me (the administator)

please tell me more about this

i am the administator how do i retake control of this folder. Also i did not remove any accounts i just changed settings in the Everyone chategory. for some reason i though this would effect everyone other than me (the administator)

please tell me more about this

Permissions are set for everyone, including administrators. If your account (or a group of which you are a member, such as the Administrators) group is not granted permissions to a folder and you remove access for "Everyone," you will remove your own access in the process.

If you have appropriate (Administrative) permissions, you can take ownership of a file or folder. Right-click on the file or folder and then click on the Security Tab. Click the Advanced button, and then click on the Owner Tab. From here you can set a new owner for the file or folder, as well as, in the case of folders, any sub-folders that may exist.

Hope this helps.

Alright thanks for your help guys i got it figured out. Under the Owner tab it wasn't set to me as the admistator. There was a big string of numbers seperated by dashes in there instead. I really dont know what that thing was but as soon as i changed it everything worked fine. Although i do have a diffent question can anyone tell me or provide me with a link that explains what the other entries under Groups are what i have listed are

Administators (Has full control)

"Then my full name" (Has full control)

CREATOR OWNER (Has full control)

Everyone

SYSTEM (Has full control)

USERS (BRIAN\Users)

Are all these groups necessary? Security holes at all?

Any info/links on this and just detailed info on how sharing works in XP Pro would be wonderful!!

I said:

If possible, remove Everyone and Full Control apart from yourself.

So you must have inadvertently deleted your own account from the ACE.

The "big string of numbers seperated by dashes" are the SIDs of the users.

In general for a shared folder (not a system folder) you only need the Administrator or an admin user or the Creator Owner to have Full Control.

In my shared folder > Sharing tab, I only have Authenticated Users (which means not Everyone (without password), nor the Guest can access it).

Have a look:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;810881

Folder sharing and security are part of MCP exam and if you can, have a look in the exam books and books on Win XP. I find the systematic approach a lot better than the bits of info you get on the internet. There're quite a few things to learn.

Edited by Takeshi

When secuirty options are greyed out it means A) the folder is inheriting permissions from the parent directory... or B) you no longer have permission to edit security

A) from the security tab, if you click on advanced, then untick the 'inherit from parent' box and apply, this should remove the greyed out boxes

or B) if you don't have permission and your an administrator, goto the advanced tab again, then the Owner tab and change it to yourself

hope this helps

EDIT: although already answered! must make sure I'm at the last post before adding a reply :blushing:

Edited by Terminal_Storm