6600 GT's Core Temperature too high?

jeeva

Hi

My GFX (Gigabyte NX66T128VP) gets very hot because of the passive cooling sytem, and my M@trix Case doesn't allow an airflow, the holes at the front are missplaced. The Core Temperature which can be looked in the nVidia Driver says 78°C in Idle Mode and up to 140°C when I switch to look after while driving around (Free Run) in NFSU UG2. I got it down to 66°C in Idle and up to 99°C with adding a Slot cooler and installing it right under the GFX card and turning the Case cooler which is over the card so the air goes in and is not pumped out of the PC.

But is that good? How warm gets your GFX Card with GeForce 6600GT? Has anyone else also got that gigabyte card?

Something I didn't think of, I thought they are expensive, in fact you find these starting off 30$. Must I take off the original cooler? If so I would loose my waranty.

Thanks and how warm gets your GPU?

As far as I know some make you take of the original cooler and some attach over the current one.

As for my GPU it is old and very weak so it runs about 49C or about 97F

This is still quite hot for my model.

nVidia GeForce440Go.

Also if u check out the manufactuar's web page about the specs of your card you sould be able to find something about the norm opperating temp. If not email their tech support and ask.

Cheers

Hatefulsorrow

I got an answer from the Gigabyte Tech Support, they answered in <1 hour, respect!

That is what they answered:

Here are the normal Temps. :

Idle 65-75°C

Load 85-95°C

Max 115°C

And a smal tip for you please use the 71.84 driver because the 77.77 is only recomered for 7800 cards.

Seems to be normal to have 66°C in idle, i'm happy to know that I don't need to invest more money in cooling systems.

Cooling systems? Ha, pfft.

Get an Antec case with a 120mm Panaflo fan on the back, an 80mm Panaflo fan on the front, a Zalman heatsink, keep multiple HDs as far apart as possible. The inside of my PC is the coolest place in the apartment. ;)

@Jeremy

If I was aware of that problem before, I hadn't take the M@trix case. Changing it now? Perhaps in 2-4 months, that costs much time and money.

@clint

Changing the Cooling System on the Card would AFAIK break my warranty.