upgrading drivers cab

dirtwarrior

This was posted earlier but got no responce so I will post it here

If I expanded xp driver cab and replaced

ntkrnlmp.exe

ntkrnlpa.exe

ntkpamp.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

from 2k driver cab and modified the driver ini accordingly. Cabbed it back to LZX and put it into 2k sourse cd would the modified driver cab work?

<EDIT>

I think I found my own answer in case someone wants to know this

NT4 and 2k hardware was purely HAL (hardware abstract layer) all the control of the hardware went through HAL

In XP even though HAL controled hardware it was also software(driver control), not completly sure why MS did this. My theory is to allow more compatably with more drivers and to ease the use of resourses in XP.

Please someone read this and write either agreement or disagreement because I am learning. Does anyone have experience in editing driver cab? Want to share experience?

Edited by dirtwarrior

AFAIK the HAL is used by all device drivers to access all hardware. Actually I think it would be easier to start out with the 2k drivers, and then move or update the drivers you want group by group, including all necessary inf's for that device group, and update dosnet, txtsetup, drvindex, and maybe even syssetup and layout. One device class you don't want to move is the Base class, but you might want all the drivers from the Display class, the Multimedia class etc. I've never seen a display driver for xp that didn't work in 2k.

Gurgelmeyer B)

PS - yes - this is complicated - very complicated :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I tried updating the driver.cab (W2K) without much success. It would require brains and knowledge of somebody like Gurgelmeyer to do this. :yes:

Dear Gurgelmeyer, would you throw some light on this subject ?

Also, would also kindly let the members know as to when your USP5.1 going to be released ?