iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

Hmmmm...

Read through this article it may be useful

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976

Or they is a billion similar topics on there forums

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=792

Apple isn't likely to offer support the installer discussed in this thread.

No... But it is a known bug/issue with the original installer

Your issue is well documented on thei apple ipod forums i suggest your read through them to find your answer

Like I said, it installs just fine with the non-silent installer. I just click next, next, next, etc. It goes with no errors. The silent one isn't working. Are you suggesting the error I'm having with the custom silent installer is "well documented on the thei apple ipod forums" ?

Let me add: Permissions and everything are set just fine and dandy. The installer for iTunes attempts to run before the antivirus software is installed on the VM.

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

I downloaded the full installer for iTunes 6.0.4, extracted the files, deleted the QuickTime installer, and ran it...and everything worked fine. You can install it silently, too. You still have other languages, but at least it doesn't install Quicktime. I also seem to have avoided the one msi related issue which I had had with the customized installer.

I downloaded the full installer for iTunes 6.0.4, extracted the files, deleted the QuickTime installer, and ran it...and everything worked fine. You can install it silently, too. You still have other languages, but at least it doesn't install Quicktime. I also seem to have avoided the one msi related issue which I had had with the customized installer.

Excellent. Thanks a bunch. I'll give this a shot. :)

Here's the newest iTunes (v6.0.4.2), localized sans Quicktime. It's also only 6.42MB.

I have having too many problems with the 6.0.2.23 installer. RogueSpear's installed just fine and dandy, but as he mentions in that post, he's doesn't have an iPod so he can't FULLY test it. It looks like the driver gets put in there, though. So it should be okay. :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=475282

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Anyone tried installing 6.0.4.2 silently with Quicktime? I have an iPod video myself, so the use of Quicktime is actually something I need (though i use WMP for my real video watching). If not, I'm rebuilding my silent install now and will let you guys know how it goes.

So I extracted the iTunes installer to it's own folder, and tried to silently install it using the following entry with RunOnceEX

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "iTunes Setup 6.0.4.2" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\Applications\iTunesSetup\iTunesSetup.exe /S /V\"ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ALLUSERS=1\ /QN"" /f

When it's done installing windows and all the applications, I see iTunes listed, but when I try to run it, it tells me it can't start cause it's missing some necessary components. I also see no evidence of QuickTime anywhere in the system (I'm trying otge this going in a VM first). Anyone got any thoughts?

Here's the newest iTunes (v6.0.4.2), localized sans Quicktime. It's also only 6.42MB.

I have having too many problems with the 6.0.2.23 installer. RogueSpear's installed just fine and dandy, but as he mentions in that post, he's doesn't have an iPod so he can't FULLY test it. It looks like the driver gets put in there, though. So it should be okay. :)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&sho...ndpost&p=475282

RogueSpears seems to work fine with my 4gb nano, I should be getting a 60gb video soon so I'll test with that too... just gotta wait on freepay to send me my free one :thumbup

umm well the whole point of this topic is to install WITHOUT quicktime because its bloated crap... i suggest roguespears quicktime alternative silent installer, this works perfectly with his silent itunes.

Edited by godan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot, that works like a charm. I decided to replace the iTunes I got from the original poster and use this instead because I was getting the .msi pop-p occasionally when installing additional software.

• 5 months later...