iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

Sorry for getting in to this late, my new net connection wasn't working when I got home so had to wait until monday morning (yeah, big companies dont need 24 hr support, pah!)

Ryan, maybe it is as you say, installing the cut-down v6 over a full version of v5, I have not tried that. The only other thought is permissions - some programs / setups dont like to run from the desktop. I guess by now you have tried uninstalling 5, rebooting, then installing 6? I tried installing this version (it is the original apple msi, simply with bits removed) on a few computers before posting with no probs, several different flavours of v6.

Hrm, one other thought - what is the language of your windows? I have never tried my english-only version on a non-english XP installation - maybe there is some transparent code in the installer that will have a fit if it cant find the correct language files?

@jondar:

I tested the installer at work on an always-on connection, internet over ethernet and it never tried to download the qt installer - however, that may be due to firewall and proxy settings at work. Installing the latest qt-alt and then running my installer worked every time though.

SP

Yeah, I'm en-us. Whatever, I guess this is just the motivation I need to try out one of those alternative programs for working with the iPod :)
Yeah, I been toying with that idea too, since the only use itunes has on my pc is to update the ipod, I dont need all the other crap. Would like to find out what is causing that error though :huh:

SP

Heck! I must be one of only a few ppl who actually use iTunes as a player. I suppose with the sytem I'm running I don't notice the bloat that is iTunes when it is running. My g/f has a noticeable drop in performance when she starts up iTunes, poor lass. Although on a PII-400 whenever she runs anything there is a noticeable drop in perfomance. :)

What other programs are there out there to update IPod, I've only really bothered with prgrams that allow you to copy from the IPod

I tested the installer at work on an always-on connection, internet over ethernet and it never tried to download the qt installer - however, that may be due to firewall and proxy settings at work. Installing the latest qt-alt and then running my installer worked every time though.

I discovered the answer to this about a day after I originally posted. It turns out that I still had the original Installshield(?) cache of files from the Apple installer (which included QT). I uninstalled iTunes again, deleted the cache from Downloaded Program Files, and ran your installer after installing QT-alt = no problems.

Thanks again!

What other programs are there out there to update IPod, I've only really bothered with prgrams that allow you to copy from the IPod

I don't personally own an iPod -- I only use iTunes mainly for the music store, and the occasional playing.

I do have a Creative Nomad, and there's a company Red Chair Software that makes a (pay-for) alternative to Creative's own PC <--> Nomad software, which they call "Notmad".

They also seem to make a version for iPods, called Anapod which might be what you're after rikgale. It may not be free, and I haven't used it, but if it's anything like Notmad, (which I have bought one day after buying my Nomad and ditching Creative's own software) it's well worth the money, IMVHO.

-- Jondar

Edited by Jondar

The latest silent installer.

iTunes 6.0.1.3

Please note that this is untested, but should work. The last one worked ok. Please make sure that you have cmdow.exe in your system32 folder.

@rikgale: i don't have cmdow.exe in my system32 folder. where do you get it? i'm working on a brand new laptop with xp pro sp2. why wouldn't it be on here? thanks!

hmm. it's amazing what you can do with google. thanks for the work!

Edited by jeffc4442

@rikgale: i don't have cmdow.exe in my system32 folder. where do you get it? i'm working on a brand new laptop with xp pro sp2. why wouldn't it be on here? thanks!

hmm. it's amazing what you can do with google. thanks for the work!

It will work ok with out cmdow.exe just you'll get a cmd window appear and dissapear after the install. I'm guessing that you found cmdow.exe, from you comment about google.
There's also Yamipod (though I've never gotten it to work right)

Thanx RyanVM

• 1 month later...

After using the silent installer of Itunes, when I attempt to load my copy of CuteFtp Pro, I am greeted with a dialog box that says "Windows Installer" as its title. It goes on to say that I need to get it to be directed towards some source file, a tmp file. When I click browse to locate, It says "Itunes" in the file name box, and .msi in the file type box. After closing this dialog box it comes up twice more, then cuteftp loads without any preferences set. I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times. I have also deleted all registry keys associated with Cute Ftp to no avail. I figure this would be associated because it happened after I installed this copy of itunes, and it refers to it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, found the cure for the iTunes.msi file keep coming up when you do the silent install. Here is the Registry key you will need to delete (please verify it is the same on your system before getting rid of it).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6C356278CDD5B8847B2CFCE9D439535E\SourceList]
"PackageName"="iTunes.msi"
"LastUsedSource"=hex(2):6e,00,3b,00,31,00,3b,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,4f,00,\
43,00,55,00,4d,00,45,00,7e,00,31,00,5c,00,50,00,6f,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,68,\
00,6f,00,75,00,73,00,65,00,5c,00,4c,00,6f,00,63,00,61,00,6c,00,20,00,53,00,\
65,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,73,00,5c,00,54,00,65,00,6d,00,70,00,5c,\
00,37,00,7a,00,53,00,32,00,37,00,34,00,2e,00,74,00,6d,00,70,00,5c,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6C356278CDD5B8847B2CFCE9D439535E\SourceList\Media]
"DiskPrompt"="[1]"
"1"="DISK1;1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\6C356278CDD5B8847B2CFCE9D439535E\SourceList\Net]
"1"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,44,00,4f,00,43,00,55,00,4d,00,45,00,7e,00,31,00,\
5c,00,50,00,6f,00,77,00,65,00,72,00,68,00,6f,00,75,00,73,00,65,00,5c,00,4c,\
00,6f,00,63,00,61,00,6c,00,20,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,74,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,\
73,00,5c,00,54,00,65,00,6d,00,70,00,5c,00,37,00,7a,00,53,00,32,00,37,00,34,\
00,2e,00,74,00,6d,00,70,00,5c,00,00,00

It's funny, but under Regedit, instead of all the Hex codes above, I actually get a directory list pointing to the 7zip unattended under my documents. Again, just delete the keys above, and all is solved.

I downloaded the itune file, and unzipped the 7z file, tried running the setp.exe, and it wouldn't run. Any ideas?

Reason i'm trying this is because i can't get itunes to open, i double click the icon and nothing. I've uninstalled it several times and same thing. I did a stand alone install of Quicktime, and it won't run either, don't know what gives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Plan6M

• 2 weeks later...
seapagan, thanks a lot. in fact i did search before posting in the other topic. hence the bump.
You're welcome posix. I guess the topic of this thread is misleading too, since it's up to version 6 now instead of 5. Could a mod change the topic title to something like '[Release] iTunes with no Quicktime' or similar please?

SP

I downloaded the itune file, and unzipped the 7z file, tried running the setp.exe, and it wouldn't run. Any ideas?

Reason i'm trying this is because i can't get itunes to open, i double click the icon and nothing. I've uninstalled it several times and same thing. I did a stand alone install of Quicktime, and it won't run either, don't know what gives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Plan6M

Plan6M,

Sorry, I missed your post until now, not been keeping as good an eye on this topic as I should :blushing: . Are you still having this problem? Do you have the same problems with the 'official' version?

SP

@posix:

Could you tell (or PM if you prefer) me where you found the 6.0.0.18 version you were talking about in the other thread please? That was my released version, and I'm interested to see how far it has spread from here ;)

@all:

Seems the latest version of iTunes is 6.0.2.23. I'll have a QT-less english-only version up in a few days, other commitments permitting (like jetlag and the desire to sleep 23 hours in a day...)

SP

Edited by seapagan