iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

Hey guys. glad everyone is okay and not too wind blown or water logged.

I've downloaded seapagans newest itunes 6.0.1.3 as a .7z file. I have zip genius to unpack it. However, i don't know how to run the install program.

finally, do i need to uninstall my itunes 6.0.0.18 before i install 6.0.1.3?

thanks!

Thanks Rik, I've put the link to your silent installer on the main post. Also added 1 mirror on megaupload, for those who have problems using rapidshare.

@jeffc4442:

As rikgale said, you can usually install a new version of iTunes directly over the top of the previous version. However, if you are installing my modified version over a full standard install, I would uninstall the previous version first, especially if the older version is not the english language version - otherwise you could end up with some localized files remaining of a wrong version. The installer is supposed to remove previous versions, but since I have edited the msi, old files will probably be overlooked.

For installing, either use rik's silent version, or run the 'itunesSetup.exe' after extracting the 7z files.

SP

With Apple finally opening up a local (Australian) iTunes music store I thought I'd give iTunes another go (I had used it before, but didn't like it).

I'd just like to post on my observations and experiences.

I downloaded the slimmed down 6.0.1.3 installer, with the intention of using it with QT-alt. That went OK, until I discovered that apparently I didn't have the most current version of QT-alt. I go to their site, and on the front page it mentions to uninstall QT-alt before installing iTunes. I do that anyway.

So, I have no QuickTime, no iTunes yet... with me so far? :-)

I run the iTunes setup from seapagan's archive. iTunes installs OK, but suddenly I get a message in the installer that it's installing QuickTime! I have no idea how that's happening, as there's no QuickTime installer in the directory. Apart from that weirdness, iTunes installs OK.

I uninstall the bulky QuickTime through Control Panel, and then try a test run of iTunes -- as expected, iTunes complains about no QT. I then install the latest K-Lite pack (which includes QT-alt). iTunes is happy again, since it can find QT.

So, overall, I'm happy. :-) Thanks seapagan!

Through my trial? I've discovered the best way to do this if you don't want bulky QT. 1) Install K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.39+ or QT-alt 1.64+ 2) Install seapagan's slimmed down iTunes 6.0.1.3

I would like to speculate though on that mysterious installing of QT... I'm wondering that if the iTunes setup (without QT) is run on a computer with an active net connection (I have ADSL), it downloads it and installs automatically?

-- Jondar

@RyanVM, can I just clarify that you are using Seapagan's 7z files and not my silent installer?

My only suggestion at this point is to check that you have the most up-to-date version of QT or QTAlt installed before running the installer.

OK, two people have now said to run the exe instead of the MSI file directly. Umm, duh :rolleyes:. The error message in the screenshot has nothing to do with that, like I already said. It's an entirely different error if you try to run the MSI.

@rikgale - I doubt it'll work since the regular Apple installer is also erroring out. I think it got fubared because I upgraded to 6.0 with the installer from here over the Apple-downloaded 5.0.