iTunes 5, Localized with no quicktime...

seapagan

Update: I went to the uninstall area in the control panel. I had the option to repair, so i tried it. I received an error message:

"setup couldn't find a file on the specified path or disk. Please check that the proper disk is inserted or specify a new path. Unable to locate file C:\DOCUME~1\JEFFCA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\7zS38.tmp\itunes.msi"

i was able to uninstall with no errors, but i haven't rebooted the computer yet. update to follow.

Update: Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. This time, when i tried to install it, i got the same error message as above (cmdow) in prior post. then some windows opened, then nothing. so, i figured i'd reboot and try again. when i rebooted, there was an itunes icon in my quick launch and new folder/shortcuts in my start menu. however, the same problem with the songs. i removed a song, then added it back, but no difference. sorry, man.

Edited by jeffc4442

@jeffc4442:

I think it is a problem with the way that self-extractors work. The installation is extracted to a temp location, then run. After the install completes, the sfx stub deletes the extracted installer.

OK, I looked before at the iTunes installers since 5, and they dont seem to cache the install files anywhere. usually the installshield wizard will create a local cache of the installer files so that uninstall / repair will work properly but this does not sem to have been implemented properly in their original intallers.

I dont use the silent installers myself, but if you unpack rik's installer using winrar you should be able to use the setup file inside to uninstall iTunes properly, this is how I do it when I modify the installers and test them.

There is certainly an option in winrar sfx's to chose an unpack folder, and keep that after installation (this is what the original packed iTunes installers since version 5 have done) so we could implement that. I'll have a look to see the syntax, and if the same similarity exists in 7z (it does in the hacked versions anyway).

The cmdow error is because you need to have the cmdow.exe utility in your path, google for it. This utility just hides the cmd prompt during the install, hence the reason you have an error but the install completes.

Have you tried the 7z 'non silent' installer, does that help? I have installed / uninstalled those files on several machines during testing with no problems.

Get back to you tomorrow, been a long day and i'm dropping off here, lol

Edit: for the song speed problem, do you have the latest QT (7.0.3) or QT-alt installed?

SP

Edited by seapagan

Im a little confused here by all the posts, so excuse me for asking, but please help me out :hello:

I downloaded the latest iTunesSetup.exe from www.apple.no as I want the Norwegian iTunes 6. I'd like an iTunes installer (v6) with no quicktime, so i unpacked iTunesSetup.exe using WinRAR and simply removed QuickTimeInstaller.exe and made an SFX archive (exe) with the following comment

Setup=iTunesSetup.exe /S /V"SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=0 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ALLUSERS=1" /w"
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

Then AFTER installing the latest QuickTime (7.0.3) i installed iTunes with my newly created exe with no errors UNTIL i launched iTunes. I then get the message (translated from .no):

Warning!

Register settings used by the iTunes-driver for import and burning CD & DVD discs are missing. (...) Reinstall iTunes.

What did I do wrong, please?

What does the "ALLUSERS=1" switch do ?

And are they any other switches that can be used ?

Thanks

ALLUSERS=1 just means to install the software for every user on the computer, not just the current user.

I used to use a few more switches for the 4.9 version, but not tested on 6 :

SILENT_INSTALL=1 - Pretty obvious;P
INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=1 - put a desktop stortcut to iTunes
ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 - Dont use QT as default
ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=0 - Dont use itunes as default media player.

Setting the 1 to 0 or vice versa inverts the meaning.

SP

Excellent, Thank You

@jeffc4442

the cmdow @/HIB error thingy you were getting is becuase the installer (ok its just batch commands)) looks for cmdow.exe in System32. It is just a tool for hiding this cmd window. Most ppl have it in System32 when doing UA, I think that it comes in Ryan's Pack and can also be down loaded fom the interent. It doesn't matter if you don't have it as it will all still work, jsut you get the cmd window as you experienced.

I said that they'd update it with in a week, and they have. iTunes 6.0.1 is out. :D
Of course! They hacked into my ships server, discovered that I was really busy for the next few days, and decided to release it just to hear me swear! ;)

I'll put the 6.0.1 up later today then.

SP

ROTFLOL - I'd be worried if Apple know what you are doing, just think how much M$ know!!! Ur shoe size, when you last chaged ur underwear, things even ur mother doesn't know. It's mind boggling

No rush as I'll not be able to get a silent installer out before Monday (probably) I'm away this w/e seeing the g/f, I'll have to leave the server on so that I can access that to make the installer if we both get time to do our respective pieces of work.

Enjoy being busy

@jeffc4442

the cmdow @/HIB error thingy you were getting is becuase the installer (ok its just batch commands)) looks for cmdow.exe in System32. It is just a tool for hiding this cmd window. Most ppl have it in System32 when doing UA, I think that it comes in Ryan's Pack and can also be down loaded fom the interent. It doesn't matter if you don't have it as it will all still work, jsut you get the cmd window as you experienced.

thanks rikgale. turns out this is an old problem with itunes...sometimes it conflicts with sound card settings. i just changed a simple setting in itunes and all is well.

question...what is UA (which, i belive, you love), and what is Ryan's Pack?

thanks!

@jeffc4442

UA - Unattended

UAXP - unattended xp. You can pass the installation of XP an answer file which contains things like your cd key, time zone settings etc. and with out any user intervention it will install XP for you. This file can be created using nLite (it has its own sub forum) or by downloading the XP installation kit from M$. Read the Unattended CD/DVD guide at the top of the screen for more info. RyanVM's packs allow you to slip stream the latest updates into the XP install before you install it. It's a bit like slipping the latest service pack, but even more upto date. I hope that this helps u out in some way.

so...6.0.1 being worked on or did they really change things?
6.0.1 is being worked on, not too much changed, except it seems to want to run qt setup regardless if it is a valid version or not.

Delay is being caused by gale force 10 out here (50 Knots+ wind) causing us a wee bit of problems, and putting iTunes on a lower priority than ensuring that $15 million worth of fragile in-water gear doesn't get destroyed ;)

I'll post it when I have the time. Net connection has also been a bit dodgy for obvious reasons.....

SP

so...6.0.1 being worked on or did they really change things?

6.0.1 is being worked on, not too much changed, except it seems to want to run qt setup regardless if it is a valid version or not.

Delay is being caused by gale force 10 out here (50 Knots+ wind) causing us a wee bit of problems, and putting iTunes on a lower priority than ensuring that $15 million worth of fragile in-water gear doesn't get destroyed ;)

I know how that goes, worked on ships since I was little.

If you'd like hosting or a bittorrent tracker I would be glad to oblige, send me a pm.

Not drowned yet :thumbup

Amazing lack of damage to our towed gear (ie we used a years worth of luck in a few days), just a few 'tense' moments.

I have finally uploaded the latest version (6.0.1.3), link is on the first post as usual.

I cracked the problem with qt installer trying to run regardless of the version of QT installed, but you still must first have either a relevant version of QT or QT-Alt installed before installing my iTunes version. Should be home by saturday (was supposed to be home today, until the chopper company decided to pull the plug on us <grumble>) so will try to fix this annoyance then.

As usual, please post any bugs found.

@rikgale:

I was looking at the problem people have with uninstalling this from the silent installer, and the solution is found in the original apple rar sfx:

Setup=iTunesSetup.exe
Silent=2
Path=.\%windir%\Downloaded Installations\{872653C6-5DDC-488B-B7C2-CF9E4D9335E5}
Overwrite=2

The above causes the rar sfx to unpack the files to a 'standard' installshield location before running them, thus the uninstall will work. There is a similar ability in 7z, if you use the hacked 7z sfx module.

@mjc:

Thanks for the offer, but for now I'll continue to use rapidshare and similar for releasing these - however, anyone who wants to post a mirror is very welcome :)

SP.