Home end PC vs Business end PC

D8TA

Ok, the company I work for is looking at trying to cut costs. We currently have 4000+ desktop and notebook PCs. We also currently use Dell Optiplex series desktops. The question came up regarding the home end models and why or why not try to bring them into the Enterprise. I know one big item is the wake-on-lan feature in the business end PCs. They are looking at the sub $400 dollar models from either Dell, IBM or HP. Obviously, we currently use Dell but I'm not entirely certain of all the pros and cons of moving towards a home end PC for some users.

Anyone have any additional pros or cons for an Enterprise this size not to use the home line model PCs?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. A lot of "experts" on this board so shoot away.

Thanks!

Home models are geared to use some of the time and not on all the time. They are not as robust as a workstation.

Business models are designed for using at the office all the time. They generally more robust and don't have the bells and whistles so that saves some cost but it is more whith the better drives and etc.

Either one will work but workstations may last longer and prove to be more reliable than el cheap o home systems.

I disargee.  what makes home harder to network then pro for an end user?

for people that have just the basic in computing needs ( which is most) im sure it would be fine

The question is not in place for the end user. The common average Joe only needs XP-Home, and that is usually what they are sold. People only buy Pro because they are told it's "better" and because the stores usually make commission.

The ability to log onto a domain one reason businesses use XP-Pro. Remote adminstration is another.

In terms of hardware, I don't think there would be too much of a problem. However, the added price that you pay for workstations usually makes up for itself in the friendly-ness of their tech support. I know that as a "home PC" consumer, it took me weeks to get HP to take a look at my laptop, whereas my friend who bought an LCD screen under his business got a shipping label the next day - no hassles.

Wouldn't it be cheaper if that company just bought the components and built their own computers and then buying a corporate license of an OS and software they might need??

Isn't that what a IT manager should do as well??

Wouldn't it be cheaper if that company just bought the components and built their own computers and then buying a corporate license of an OS and software they might need??

Isn't that what a IT manager should do as well??

Sorry, we don't plan to build 4000+ PCs. You lost me on this statement, Isn't that what a IT manager should do as well??

You lost me on this statement, Isn't that what a IT manager should do as well??

I ment isn't it their job to build the computers for the company if necessary? And why not build 4000 computers?

If you want to buy computers from Dell... I looked at their models on their site before, home or office versions are almost the same, both celeron processors and almost identical in hardware the only diference being the software they carry.

They could, but it works out cheaper to let someone else do it, than paying your own ppl to do it.

Plus, u need to be able to hold someone responsible if something is wrong, and sue their a**.... :P

why not build 4000 computers?

jesus christ are you joking you cant build 4000 computers and do your normal IT support at the same time.

Last year I had 20 machines to build with a colleague of mine. We did it in a week as well as the normal day to day life of running a large network. We built the 20 and then set one up with windows, drivers, office etc then we just ghosted it to the other 19 harddrives. about eight wouldn't boot. I discovered that these eight had a slightly different revision number on the motherboard and so did the driver disk. So I had to reinstall everything on one of them and ghosted it to the other 7. Oh, and when the order arrived in the first place, the heatsink/fans were missing so we had to buy them locally from somewhere else to make a deadline. Afterwards we were left with 20 spare heatsink/fans.

Another time, the heatsink/fans wouldn't fit the boards due to an annoying capacitor. Because I had a deadline of like, the same day, I had to cut a notch in each heatsink with a hacksaw.

Earlier this year, I needed 25 machines so I thought to hell with building them. I just bought them already made and even then, a harddrive died so I had to call their tech support crew. It would have been so easy if it would have been a machine I built myself because I could have just replaced the HD myself and ghosted the OS from another machine.

Edited by At0mic

why not build 4000 computers?

jesus christ are you joking you cant build 4000 computers and do your normal IT support at the same time.

Last year I had 20 machines to build with a colleague of mine. We did it in a week as well as the normal day to day life of running a large network. We built the 20 and then set one up with windows, drivers, office etc then we just ghosted it to the other 19 harddrives. about eight wouldn't boot. I discovered that these eight had a slightly different revision number on the motherboard and so did the driver disk. So I had to reinstall everything on one of them and ghosted it to the other 7. Oh, and when the order arrived in the first place, the heatsink/fans were missing so we had to buy them locally from somewhere else to make a deadline. Afterwards we were left with 20 spare heatsink/fans.

Another time, the heatsink/fans wouldn't fit the boards due to an annoying capacitor. Because I had a deadline of like, the same day, I had to cut a notch in each heatsink with a hacksaw.

Earlier this year, I needed 25 machines so I thought to hell with building them. I just bought them already made and even then, a harddrive died so I had to call their tech support crew. It would have been so easy if it would have been a machine I built myself because I could have just replaced the HD myself and ghosted the OS from another machine.

Ok ok I get your point now lol

• 2 weeks later...
Business PCs have more bells and whistles.  Need a SD, Flash Drive, Cruzer, or Memory Stick slot?  Less apt to find those on a home computer.

Umm... I'm guessing it's the other way around.

At work, I have absolutely no need for a SD card (or any other media card) reader built into my computer. At home, that's a different story, since that's where I would transfer pictures from my digital camera.

Business PCs are usually the barebones systems that the employees need. Bells and whistles are selling points to lure in stupid customers.

Hmm...... you may have a point. I have the bells and whistles and find them quite usefull. For example, I can download maps for my GPS directly onto my SD, or if I choose, directly to my unit. I don't think I'm stupid though, just like the bells and whistles.