Longhorn Wishlist

Doggie

so everybody, what are we hoping to see in the next windows?

Personally i hope to see most IE plugins like Java, Flash etc already provided :)

Some decent games

Increased compatibility with drivers

3D desktop, that you can use like a FPS... You can explore say your Control Panel like a room, where you can interact with the objects like in a game...

I think that would be nice

;D

there's a freeware(?) app that does that-- I think it's called 3D desktop or something.

Not needing stylesxp or a hacked uxtheme.dll, for unsigned .msstyles, would be nice. In general: more, better, faster, and cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 95 days there used to be Microsoft bob that would assist users with various things. The project failed and MS has sort of resurrected what was once MS bob into Microsoft Agent. You can Demo Agent here. The MS UI team also created a 3D UI called TaskGallery that can be found here, watch the video. I do remember seeing a 3rd party rip off of TaskGallery but I don't remember from where. I think Longhorn will use hardware accelerated rendering of the UI much the same way Apple is doing it now with Quartz Extreme™. I think it's a good idea because it should offload the process from the CPU and when you are on your desktop your graphics card is not doing much anyway. The additional hardware requirements for the graphics card should mean better cards. Game developers often have to build a game capable of running on the lowest common denominator.

What I would like to see in Longhorn is:

• Removal of many of the useless services that run at boot on XP. (UPnP as an example)

This would make the system boot faster, run faster, and crash less.

• Removal of some backwards compatibility

This would remove extra files, and overhead on the system. If are still using software made for 95 you need to just keep XP se.

• Better native theme support and lighter themes

As someone stated, it would remove the need for StyleXP and also bring theming to joe sixpack. The lighter theme is out of my distaste for the heavy UI of XP and soon longhorn. I really like the 2k pro look and would like to see some native light temes like the famous watercolor theme that was seen in the early XP betas.

In general, while some of the new features look useful, I don't want MS to forget the speed/security/stability advantages of designing the OS for a small footprint.

All good. Never did like M$ Bob. Packard-Hell did something similar, but that was dumped quickly. Sony still does a similar interface, but its targeted at home PCs. No. I don't see M$ going backwards. W95 applications are yesterday and I want tomorrow.

I hope it is as stable or better than XP. I hope that the rumor that it might not include a swap/virtual memory file is true. RAM is so cheap and hard drives are so big I dont see the real need for it anymore.

One thing I really hope MS will update (or remove) the build-in windows ftp client ... it suxx a**! ... They should also kill such ideas as the Windows messenger always running and the messenger (the other) service being enabled by default!

And as said before ... no MS control skin crap! ... Let the people make their own skins damnit! ... A skin SDK would be a nice adition :)

And one last thing ... .. A nerd- / geek- / power user mode where things aren't "uSeR fRiEnDlY!" would be very nice! ... Im really tired of wizards trying to make my life "easier" ...