QuickTime 7.0.x UA

tarquel

Hi all,

Are you guys using the Pro version or the free version? I ask as the free one insists on downloading itunes, for which i have no use and never will have a use for.

I went to http://www.apple.com/uk/quicktime/win.html followed the download link http://www.apple.com/uk/quicktime/download/win.html removed all the ticks, clicked download and it starts to download itunessetup.exe at 32mb.

How can i get quicktime without the free unwanted addition?

@oioldman:

There is a small, not too obvious link on the same download page, I think it was called 'standalone' or similar, that allows you to download QT without iTunes.

In fact, here it is ;)

SP

I had the same problem weeks ago. :lol: Maybe they did that on purpose to make the people download the version with iTunes. Hehehe..

Aloha all...

Before anything I'd like to thank pdmcmahon and it ybd for putting me on the right track... So here it is, for us n00bs, a recap on making an "almost" fully silent (U tell me...) QT7 silent installer with all your tweaks and prefs integrated (Registration included)...

What you will need:

- QuickTime 7.0.2 Standalone installer. (And valid registration info if you want to include it...) Here

- Quick Batch Compiler. Here

- Winrar. Here (I Use v3.42 but i'm sure latest version has the same features...)

- An Icon of your choice... *.ico format if you want to change the sfx icon...

1 - Install QuickTime 7 on your computer and configure it fully... (Prefs, registration, player prefs...).

2 - Copy your Pref files to a folder on your Desktop... The Files are...

- Two files for the General Prefs and the Registration...

"c:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\QuickTime.qtp"
"c:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\com.apple.QuickTime.plist"

- One editable *.xml file that manages the user Player Prefs...

"c:\Document and Settings\%userprofile%\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\QTPlayerSession.xml"

3 - Prepare your package. In the same folder you copied your pref files, include the original "QuickTimeInstaller.exe"... Also, install your copy of Quick Batch Compiler if you haven't done so allready.

4 - Create your QT7Silent.cmd and save it your distribution folder... Now as i stated earlier this is pdmcmahon's batch... I just twisted it a litlle to suite my needs...

@ECHO OFF

QuickTimeInstaller.exe /S /v/qn

XCOPY /S /E /I /Y QuickTime.qtp "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime"
XCOPY /S /E /I /Y com.apple.QuickTime.plist "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime"
XCOPY /S /E /I /Y QTPlayerSession.xml "%userprofile%\Application Data\Apple Computer\QuickTime\"

DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\PictureViewer.lnk"
DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\QuickTime Read Me.lnk"
DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\QuickTime\Uninstall QuickTime.lnk"
DEL "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\QuickTime Player.lnk"
DEL "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\QuickTime Player.lnk"

taskkill /F /IM qttask.exe

EXIT

5 - Transform your "QT7Silent.cmd"...

1) Open your QT7Silent.cmd in Quick Batch Compiler.

2) Select Ghost Application in the Project | Options

3) Build your *.exe (By default it will be saved with the same name and in the same folder as your QT7Silent.cmd).

4) You can now remove QTSilent.cmd from your distribution folder...

6 - Create your silent installer...

1) Your folder which should now look like this...

com.apple.QuickTime.plist
QT7Silent.exe
QTPlayerSession.xml
QuickTime.qtp
QuickTimeInstaller.exe
MyIcon.ico

2) Install WinRAR and Create an archive with all the files listed above... Here is for the options... (GUI):

- General Tab

Name: whatever you want

Format: rar

Compression: best

Create sfx

Create Solid archive

Put recovery record

- Advanced Tab -> SFX Options | General Tab

Run After extraction: QT7Silent.exe

- Advanced Tab -> SFX Options | Mode Tab

Temporary mode: Unpack to temporary folder

Silent mode: Hide All

Overwrite mode: Overwrite all files (but that's for you to decide...)

- Advanced Tab -> SFX Options | Text & Icon Tab

Load SFX icon from the file (If you have an *.ico file to include).

And that's it.... validate your choices by clicking OK and your new silent installer is here....

! - For those of you eager to keep working with 7zip method... It can also be done... Just use this as config.txt

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="QT7Silent.exe"
;!@InstallEnd@!

I have found though that you only gain like 512k with the 7zip version and spend way more time compressing it Ultra...

Xtra stuff:

- More info on Window environment variables: Here

- More info on Taskkill: Here

Post Edited:

Txs to seapagan the installer is now Fully Silent... :D (integrating cmdow.exe in the sfx archive and using QT7Silent.cmd to launch install pops open a cmd prompt and closes it right away...).

Hmmm...

- At this point i'm kinda wondering if there isn't a better way of doing this in getting rid of cmdow.exe from package and having the instructions directly parsed by the winrar sfx instead of the QTSilent.cmd... Any help on this greatly appreciated... could get rid of the only NOT completely silent part of the install... ;)

You can use 'Quick Batch compiler' or similar to compile the batch file into a silent exe (use 'ghost' mode), so there will be no flash of the cmd box.
Edited by XXsplit

- At this point i'm kinda wondering if there isn't a better way of doing this in getting rid of cmdow.exe from package and having the instructions directly parsed by the winrar sfx instead of the QTSilent.cmd... Any help on this greatly appreciated... could get rid of the only NOT completely silent part of the install... ;)

You can use 'Quick Batch compiler' or similar to compile the batch file into a silent exe (use 'ghost' mode), so there will be no flash of the cmd box.

However, in some cases this will not run on some systems (i think it has something to do with length of temp variable, though this may be fixed in latest versions).

When I get a few minutes, I'm gonna finish my little util that runs batch files silently, having the same effect.

SP.

hehe... mucho txs seapagan...

This is what i call an info.... Have never even thought that type of tool existed... :thumbup

After testing it.... it works.... XP SP2 anyways... lol... might as well edit my previous post... ;)

Watch out when using QBFC. If you extract your installer files along with the compiled command script, it will work. But sometimes, it will give you some path problems because the compiled exe simply extracts the actuall command script to the temp directory.

Build a silent QT7 as XXsplit wright.

But then installing here comes a popup that exe build with Unregistred Version of Quick Butch :(

Ааааа nobody tell my that :(

And taskkill /F /IM qttask.exe not work

qttask still in the tray near clock.

How to solve?

Just my 2 cents...

this method seems to work perfectly for a silent install:

Get the installation files as mentionned and use:

msiexec /i ISScript11.Msi /qb

msiexec /i QuickTime.msi ISSETUPDRIVEN="1" INSTALL_DESKTOP_SHORTCUT="FALSE" /qr

Optional

You can also add a transformation file with this syntax:

TRANSFORMS=xxx.mst

Edited by Incroyable HULK

• 4 weeks later...
Build a silent QT7 as XXsplit wright.

But then installing here comes a popup that exe build with Unregistred Version of Quick Butch :(

Ааааа nobody tell my that :(

And taskkill /F /IM qttask.exe not work

qttask still in the tray near clock.

How to solve?

Has this been resolved yet? Is there a better compiler that won't give me a little pop-up "buy me" button? Otherwise, what is the switch to silence it? /S?

Thanks!

I use the "/S /v/qn" way directly on the installer downloaded from Apple.

Also, I use the batch file mentioned on page two of this thread with some modifications of my self.

The problem starts after the QTPlayerSession.xml is copied to the client PC.

The only thing I have changed in the preferences is that the taskbar icon/program isn't started.

But somehow it won't work on a client PC ie. the taskbar icon/program is still enabled.

There is a line in that file that specifies the profile path.

<string>C:\Documents and Settings\weustink\Bureaublad</string>

Weustink is the account name I originally installed QuickTime under, but of course other users have different usernames/last names.

I tried using

<string>%userprofile%\Bureaublad</string>

but that doesn't help either.

Does anyone know what to do to correct this?

BTW: "bureablad" means "desktop" in Dutch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I am having a problem. I followed the instructions for creating a silent install that XXsplit posted. I installed quicktime on a test machine and configured file associations, mime types, remove taskbar icon, and some other minor adjustments under the preferences. I am trying to install quicktime 7.0.4

Even though the silent install overwrote the quicktime.qtp file and copied over the com.apple.quicktime.plist into All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\Quicktime and copied over the QTPlayersession.xml file

it still keeps the default preferences after installing. I have manually overwritten these files and it just wont copy over the preferences. What am I missing here? Please help.

Thanks!

Alex

Edited by alex818