Fable The Lost Chapters

Lagamorph

UPDATE: AMD is not the problem my wife had with crashing. But the other common theme was Audigy cards which she has. We updated her Audigy drives to the lastest Beta driver with Open AL support and now the game runs fine. She also had a GF 440 MX and we replaced it with a GF5500FX.

But even with the newer card the game still crashed until we updated to the latest Audigy Beta driver.

I previously updated her Audigy driver but I guess I didn't go far enough with it before.

She's happy now and I can get back to what I was doing. :thumbup

Cheers,

JS

Edited by js33

:}Does anyone have any new news about the Fable game crash problems I seem to be in the same situation as the rest of the people here, Renewed all drivers re-installed the operating system Windows xp with service pack 2, upgraded bios, minimised the acceleration options (though I dont see why I should if my computer spec exceeds the minimum requirements) you name it I tried it. When the game crashes it doesn`t always generate an error report and even when it does its not really that helpful. I have visited the windows web site in light of the error reports and quite frankly the suggested solutions don`t seem to be relevant as they refer to problems in servers most of the time.

The save game function only works for the autosave, If I try and load any of my saved games then fable just defaults to my latest autosave. The crashes are intermitent and dont happen at any specific point in the game. I have also tried the game without sound and it still crashes. I have recently replaced my graphics card (now its a radeon 9550) and sound card (now its a sound blaster live!) in an effort to resolve the problem but it did exactly the same with the new cards.

One thing that seems to be odd is that having set the screen resolution (1280x1024)32 in the video options of the game to match with my pc settings the game seems to adjust the screen just before it loads the autosaved game what exactly it does is difficult to tell.

This is getting to be an expensive pastime just to play one game!! I thought seriously about taking the game back and asking for a refund but the game doesnt look to bad from what I have seen so thats a last ditch option as most of the games I have seen recently dont appeal too much.

Any ideas anyone ??

i get freezing issues only under slightly different circumstances. As the game starts to play and you take on the mission of finding your sisters bday present the screen flashes in the background, black and coloured triangles and shapes flicker almost like polygon stretch in the game background. The game last for different amounts of times sometimes only for maybe 2 mins, i even once got to where the village is attacked. When the game freezes it locks down the sound continues however and the only way to exit is by windows key !

Ive been trying to resolve this for a few weeks now. i have a 2.66 processor, 1024 mb of ram and a geforce 6 6000 graphics card. so teh spec is ok although i notice the cards not on the support list for some reason but ive heard of other users , using this card fien with the game

Ive gone as far to do a full format on the machine although i only have sp1 on disc and havent put sp2 on yet, another issues that i thought may cause this though i doubt it (any comment would be of help :P ) ive had to changed monitor from my normal flat screen to an old one from my win 98 machine due to pin damage, could an older monitor perhaps cause the above issue ??

any ideas ? or could this be just down to a badly designed game that wasnt tested properly ?

I am not sure if I can really be of any help but it sounds to me like your graphics card is having trouble processing the information its receiving. The real thing I cant understand with both your problem and mine is that the game is fine upto a point in time (which seems to vary) and then it crashes if there was a problem with the graphics card how does it manage to cope perfectly for a long time then decide to crash, to me it seems like the problem is elsewhere.

I recently learned how to use "windbg" a free debugging tool available from microsoft (it took some time setting the symbol paths up but now it seems to work). It analyses the rarely produced crash reports from this game (rarely is windows able to create a crash report). Every crash report says that it experienced a problem with FABLE.EXE and after analysis with "windbg" I see the problem points to a problem with a file called ati3duag which I asume belongs to my graphics card driver from ATI. I do have a full crash report but havent yet amnalysed it as I am still trying to learn more on how to use the windbg program its GUI is not really user friendly.

Enough said it looks perhaps impressive stuff lol but I am sure to a computer bod its basics.

I have some information now that may or may not be useful. It will be a place that I will be visiting before I ever put my hands in my pocket to buy another computer game from now on. The site I recieve e mails from to keep me posted about new pc and other games is called GAMESPY.com you may have already heard of it, well I found it has a rather useful tool on its site which performs an analyis of your system and tells you if your system is up to scratch for the game you are looking at. I am asking myself why the game designers dont do the same if they value their custmers!.

the analysis also has buttons next to the hardware analysis which take you to the hardware manufacturers web sites to look for updated drivers. Thats a 10/10 for gamespy to my way of thinking lets have less of this underhand busisness where you buy a game and then find out you cant play it with your pc specs! more open and honest information on the game boxes please game designers I tried reading the info on the box before I brought the game fable but even with reading glasses on It was still to small !! it was pin head size !! this is in my mind as good as a breach of the law as nothing at all.

I am still searching for a solution if I find it then I will let you know thanks for reading and sorry for the moaning but I just had to say something this has really annoyed me. I think of some poor kid out there who spent his last bean on this game and cant play it.

I am just about to jump off the building.................... :realmad:

I bought the game 2 days ago i am so so eager to play the game.

Installed the game when i double click it says " This application has failed to start because d3dx9_25.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem"

So i did like a 101 times and still i got the same problem. I update all the drivers in my com including BIOS but nothing seems to work.

Someone please help :( Please... i like this game a lot

My specs are:

Processor: P4 3.00 ghz with HT (800Mhz)

Memmory : DDR 400 1Gb (Corsair XT)

Graphic Card : nvidia FX 5600

Sound card : On board

With my computer Fable was crashing at the startup. I tried every possible fix i could found in different message boards around but none of them worked for me. Then I started to download and install different drivers for my Geforce 6600GT. I tried 8.87 beta, 8.85, and some Fujutsu Siemens modification 79.11. None of them worked. Then I decided to try 77.77. And with this driver Fable actually worked!

I hope this helps someone. Let me know if it does .. :)

I haven't played Fable yet, so there may be more problems to come. I will inform if any other problems occur.

[edit] Sorry, the problem wasn't driver, the problem was that i modified my refresh rate settings with ReForce. When i restored those settings to default Fable worked... [/edit]

Edited by Kharlog

i figured out the problem. it has to do with the video card. if you have an ATI card you just wasted 60 bucks. it only likes cards from geforce. so you can get the geforce 7800 gtx and waste 700 smackers just for one game or you can get a nvidia geforce 4 for about 60 bucks and it runs great except you have to keep the graphics level low cause its going to lag. or get it for the xbox

i figured out the problem. it has to do with the video card. if you have an ATI card you just wasted 60 bucks. it only likes cards from geforce. so you can get the geforce 7800 gtx and waste 700 smackers just for one game or you can get a nvidia geforce 4 for about 60 bucks and it runs great except you have to keep the graphics level low cause its going to lag. or get it for the xbox

A lot of us that are having problems have Nvidia cards. I have a 6800Ultra and it's still crashing. I don't think the type of video card really makes much difference.

try getting a geforce 4 ti its only around 60 $ but run it at low graphics settings. :thumbup

A lot of us that are having problems have Nvidia cards. I have a 6800Ultra and it's still crashing. I don't think the type of video card really makes much difference.

it only likes geforce cards. your going to have the same problem untill the release a patch or you buy a geforce

Edited by iron_guard