Fable The Lost Chapters

Lagamorph

Processor: AMD Athlon XP3000+

RAM: 1024MB

Graphics Card: GeForce 6800Ultra

Problem Description: I've just got the PC version of Fable, and I've got a problem with it. Every so often, the game just crashes and quites back to windows. It seems to happen completely at random rather than at any specific event in the game or after a certain amount of time.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem? Is there something wrong with the game?

I've checked all non-essential processes in the Task Manager aren't running, but the problem still persists. I've checked my event viewer, but there's nothing happening at the time the game is crashing. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, that didn't work, and I've checked all my drivers are up-to-date.

I've installed the game on my brother's PC, and it works fine there. He's also running Windows XP SP2.

Anybody got any ideas?

Edited by Lagamorph

Have you tried the usual things? (in no particular order)

- Motherboard BIOS update?

- Drivers update (graphics, soundcard and chipset drivers specifically)?

- Windows all up-to-date with hotfixes?

- disabling A/V and other resident monitoring programs when playing the game?

- checking that your system is free from spyware and/or viruses? (yes, it can make a difference ppl lol)

- uninstalling the game - removing all temp files and files left behind (move the save games to somewhere else if ya wannakeep them) and install again with the A/V turned off

- Checked your HDD for errors and defrag'ed it for performance reasons?

Thats all i can think of right now :D

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Nath.

Edited by it_ybd

Yup, tried the lot. I just reformatted and re-installed Windows a few days ago too, and I've updated everything since then. I suppose I can try it all again incase I accidentally missed something or screwed up the installation twice in the same way without realising it both times.

I've been to Microsofts website, and the only suggestion they had was to reduce my graphics Hardware acceleration, which I did, but it didn't make a difference either ><

I get the same problem with Fable, and it does show up in the event viewer as an application error. Here's what it says:

Faulting application fable.exe, version 25.7.13.149, faulting module fable.exe, version 25.7.13.149, fault address 0x005fcbf0.

So what does all these actually mean?

Edited by doggiedoo

im guessing that it could be a hardware problem, give the full specs of all of ur parts, the psu is most important. also get speedfan to see how hot ur comp is running when playing the game, could be an overheating problem.

Edited by ripken204

Yeah I've also been having a similar problem, but the crash occurs at the same point every time. When you're an apprentice learning how to use the bow, you're just about to start shooting at mooving targets (at the end of the dialogue) and then the game crashes. Same problem everytime. This seems more like a game bug then something wrong with my computer though.

my fable used to crash everytime i started it...

i tried several things like driver update, disabling the the onboard soundcard and some no-cd patch

i left the game installed on my drive, some days later i installed the vista transformation pack for windows xp....and again some days later i tried running the game again - and it worked.

my guess would be that my previous windows theme made fable.exe crash, i used windowblinds 4.6

...just my 0.2$.

OK

This may not be your problem, but it was mine, so to others who happen upon this forum with Fable problems....

I had problems with Fable crashing everytime I started it.

The installation notes (when I finally read them) detailed a problem with the Audigy 1 range of cards.

Having recently reinstalled my PC I found the creative did not have updates for download (UK site - apart from a DRM update).

So I reinstalled from the original CD.

And these drivers were the problem.

I found a web update on the American creative site...

http://files.americas.creative.com/manuald...4DRV_031031.exe

...and now the games runs.

Hope this may help someone.

:)