Fable The Lost Chapters

Lagamorph

Another variation on this problem with Fable... would very much appreciate input.

Specs:

Processor: Intel P4 3.2Ghz

RAM: 512MB

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X300

I bought and installed Fable two days ago. I was able to install and play successfully for 3-4 hours one evening, before shutting down my PC for the night. The next day, however, the problems began. I cannot now boot successfully more than 50% of the time, let alone load Fable. When I do manage to begin to play, I get the random crashes others have described (black screen, must hard reboot) - only once with an error message (crash on ati2dvag.dll).

I have uninstalled the game, and the problems continue. Any ideas? My video card is not on the supported list for Fable, but I was able to play successfully on both 800x600 and 1024x768... and since my problems are continuing after uninstall, I'm baffled.

Zombie

• 5 months later...

Hahaha! I think I may finally have some satisfactory asnwers folks! I just installed Fable: TLC a few days ago and was experiencing syptoms quite alike to the ones you are all suffering. In my case, the game was crashing almost arbitrarily without discernible causes. I could only play the game for periods of time between two minutes to fifteen minutes (sometimes thirty if I was lucky).

Like most of you I suspected the drivers for various hardware including video card, sound card, chipsets, etc, and of course Microsoft isn't very helpful. I mean, this [expletive] game doesn't even have any patches?! However after spending a fruitless day reinstalling and restarting my damned infernal machine I finally stumbled on what I think may be the real issue behind the spontaneous crashes plagueing this glitchy piece of [expletive] game in pure desperation!

A POSSIBLE SOLUTION FOR COMMON ARBITRARILY OCCURING CRASHES:

Start > Run... > Type "msconfig" in the "Open:" dialogue box and click "OK."

msconfig is a system configuration utility that allows users, among other things that I am not an authority on, to control which programs are allowed to automatically execute at system startup.

System Configuration Utility > Startup (Tab).

All of the items that are checked in the list are programs that initiate on their own at startup and usually work in the background (possibly without you even knowing!).

Uncheck EVERYTHING that is not necessary. Because I am not exactly sure which of these services was causing my game to crash, I unchecked almost everything, with the exception of the most basic, necessary of items (Soundblaster Volume Control, Rundll32, ATI Radeon, Shaw Update Loader, that sort of stuff). The things I did end up UNCHECKING included stuff like ItunesHelper, Ipod services, Quicktime, Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher, Logitech SetPoint, and even Symantec & Norton Antivirus services. You those sorts of things that are extra things, half of which I didn't even know where running in the background.

This will sort of make some things a pain in the [expletive] in that they will have to be manually loaded via launching the .exe files, but seriously...it's not that much of a pain.

Hopefully that helps somebody, and if anyone actually does figure out exactly which background service is actually causing the disruption, be sure to point it out to the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Made an account just to be able to post here and hopefully get some feedback.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

GeForce 7800GS

1 gig RAM

Realtec AC97

Driver Status

Every single one updated.

Error message on trying to start game:

Faulting application fable.exe, version 25.7.13.149, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Theme Status:

I have disabled every Windows XP theme.

Oddity:

I had the game previously installed on my computer and played it completely. Months passed, I uninstalled the game and not too long ago I got my GeForce 7800GS, which is an obvious improvement over my original Chaintech GF 5700. This is the only hardware change that has been made to my system. I see no reason for this to be a graphical issue as the game does not even load.

Other thoughts (hoping for confirmation):

The only major software change that I had made was the installion of ObjectDock (I had a momentary judgement lapse in desiring my desktop to look like a mac). I had removed it as well but I think it had left some residual damage as after I had installed/uninstalled it, everytime aftera long gaming session I'll get an error message when I try to shut down windows (minor nusiance).

That's all I can really think of. If I have missed anything, please let me know.

Well like most people who have posted in the this topic, I to am having problems with this game, and created an account here specifically to post in this topic (since after searching the internet for some 4 hours this is the only website I could find with actual helpful information to the problems with this game, as well as people who are having the same problems). I've done everything that has been mentioned (except for 1 thing). The Support site on Microsoft for Fable is a complete waste of time.

The funny thing is, I never actually went out and bought the game. Originally I had downloaded the entire game from a torrent site. I installed it and it worked fine. Never had any problems with it. I beat the game once through and never played it again. Well 2 months ago by and I go to play it again just for the hell of it, cause I feel like playing through again but this time being evil.

Well I go to start the game, and it crashes immediately. I get the same error message that everyone else gets. Now like everyone else I updated all my drivers, disabled everything I could think of, deleted and reinstalled, etc etc. And still it crashes at startup. So I figured maybe something happened with the downloaded files and it just doesn't work anymore. So I tried installed the downloaded files onto my laptop and got the same results.

So because of this, I figured since it was a pirated copy it would eventually stop working. So I went out and bought the game for $25 at Walmart. Brought it home and installed it. And low and behold I got the same problems that I had with the pirated copy that I downloaded. If I knew that this was gonna happen I wouldn't have gone out and bought the game.

So I decided to change the game compatibilty mode. I right clicked on the Fable.exe icon, clicked on the compatibility tab, and in the Compatibility mode section, I checked the box and told to Run it in Windows 2000.

Well, I go to try and play the game, and it loads up fine. I start playing the game, it plays fine (except for some minor audio issues (like the character would be talking then the camera angle changes and I could no longer hear the characters voice audio), then after about 5 minutes or so the game would get laggy and then just sort of hung up and then pick later on in the game as if the entire time it was fine, and of course the random crashing started soon after. The majority of the time it comes after the lagging. But I can't seem to play for more then 10 minutes straight without it crashing.

Now the only thing that I didn't think of doing was disabling the Windows Theme that I had on my computer. Its the same one I have on my laptop as well, so if I disable it and the game works fine I know what the problem is. Afterall I didn't have this theme on my computer back when I first installed and played the game (nor any theme for that matter). Maybe thats the problem i'm having. And i'll check this later, since i'm not on my home PC and don't have the game discs on me.

My laptop specs and PC specs are, Windows XP on both:

Laptop:

Intel p4 3.ghz processor

1024mb RAM

ATI Radeon X800

PC:

AMD 3.2 ghz processor

1024 mb Ram

GEForce 6600

Well apparently Fable didn't like the Windows Theme I had running. I have an Alienware laptop, and when I disable the AlienGuise Theme Manager, and reset Windows XP back to its default "theme". Fable ran fine. Except it does freeze up from time to time at loading screens when i'm going between areas or it will just crash at those points. But at least I can play the game, I just have to save often.

• 1 month later...

I also enrolled on this forum in hope that someone may be able to solve my problem. Here it is:

I don't know if anyone has had my problem but I have not seen any post on it so far and would ask for a suggestion to the problem.

Recently (about a 2 weeks ago) I built my own computer from scratch (individual parts) with a friend. Everything runs smoothly. The system:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 dual core 4200+

Video card: Geforce 7300 GS

Effectively I shouldn't need to talk about my whole system. Basically I have what is required to run the game.

One week ago I bought the game Fable the lost chapters from a retailer and have had prolems with it ever since I first installed it on to my new computer.

The game itself when first installed works fine. What doesn't work fine is that when someone is speaking to me and the dialogue is at the bottom of the screen about 90% of the time it disappears from view. Also for example whenever I go into equip a new weapon the text down the bottom where the helpful information telling me about the weapon is, it disappears. That happens with almost every screen of written text/dialogue in the game. What is more odd is that some smaller words or parts of words are staying on the screen. The best discription I can give of this is that the dialogue appears in broken sentences or not at all. On top of that if I leave a help screen open (for a weapon, personality etc) it seems to reappear after a while and then disappear far too fast to read appart from maybe one of the shorter words.

I have made sure to download the latest drivers for my new system from the internet and reinstalled them again. I have done everything listed in posts above and I have reinstalled Fable: The Lost Chapters and still nothing.

I'm hoping someone would be able to help me since Microsoft when I rang them for support told me that I would have to pay a rip off of $35 to talk to one their tech guys.

The responces from people I know say that it'll be the game.

I am pretty sure that it is not the system itself but the game since I have been able to run everything else that I need including another game which is supposed to be far more demanding than Fable called Oblivion.

Any help would be appreciated, open to all feedback, opinions on what I could or should do and any other help.

lol try updating all your drivers. if that fails get the game patches. also try lower the quality of some things. It helped me with the game and my video card isn't even supported by the game.

Edited by Code-E

As I wrote above all the drivers I downloaded are the most recent and they have been redownloaded and installed. I've lowered the video settings on the game itself. As I said I've already done all necessary possible updates and I was told over the phone by a new zealand microsoft representative that there were no extras patches or additional software drivers to download. I have searched and come up with nothing. If you know a patch or other download for the game that might update its software. I would be most abliged to have the location of that download. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
im guessing that it could be a hardware problem, give the full specs of all of ur parts, the psu is most important. also get speedfan to see how hot ur comp is running when playing the game, could be an overheating problem.

I agree. Also, can be caused by an unstable processor OC.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP