Using an XP Upgrade CD

Ernest

On the Quickstart page of XPCreate.com, under the What you'll need: section, 'Original Windows CD' is listed as a needed item.

If I want to use an Windows XP Upgrade CD (along with, if needed, a Windows 98 CD), will that work? Or is the full version of XP CD (Pro or Home) required?

Its been said before i believe.

Only the OEM, Vol, and retail version's of XP are supported by XPCREATE.

The Upgrade CD is different in that you cannot (as I recall) boot the CD (i.e. you can only run the update from within a version of Windows) so it cannot be used.

Whether you can use XPCREATE to make a updated version of the Update CD, I cant say I'm afraid as I dont have it to try that.

Regards

Nath.

Its been said before i believe.

Only the OEM, Vol, and retail version's of XP are supported by XPCREATE.

The Upgrade CD is different in that you cannot (as I recall) boot the CD (i.e. you can only run the update from within a version of Windows) so it cannot be used.

Whether you can use XPCREATE to make a updated version of the Update CD, I cant say I'm afraid as I dont have it to try that.

Regards

Nath.

That's not quite right. You can boot and do clean install from upgrade CD, it will just ask you to insert your previous version cd if it doesnt find it on the drive. XPCREATE works fine with upgrade CD.

cool

sorry for the confusion (i was tired) lol

I meant that I had never tried it and as I had read in the past from previous posts/threads, no one had said that worked (i sspect ppl asking had been using illegal vers ;)).

Thanks for the info dman :D:thumbup

Nath

Edited by it_ybd