why soes piracy exsist

Ven

i have been reading alot of articles and hearing abt piracy damaging the music and movie industry.. and all these laws to help curb piracy.. but i wounder if the industries are getting the message.. their goods are jus to darn expensive.. prices range from US$50-$700 for software and maybe $12-20 for music.. i can get these goods for $1 each from my best friend down at the pirated store.. come think of it.. with so much price difference.. i am surely gonna get pirated goods.. why should i spend so much money on original stuff when i can save up to 700% on some goods.. i mean if the original stuff was cheaper.. i would get the original one..

well your friend is doing something even more illegal then just dloading pirated software, he is selling it! but he could just say that he need to profit from the cd's, lol. but your reasons for it costing so much is why almost everyone has pirated before.

i dont find it all that fun. i feel like someone is watching me for some reason. and the fear of being caught isnt all that good either, although the chances are so  small.

personally the only reason I've ever pirated anything was just to try it out and see if it meets my needs. If it does, I buy it. The once exception I can name is Photoshop, which I needed while in school, and it was much to expensive to afford even in the student edition. However, I never made a nickel off anything I produced with those copies.

I can see lots of reasons why people pirate this, that or the other thing, but there's NO excuse for selling pirated goods.

Jason

What is the difference between pirating and plagorism? NOTHING, they are both stealing... now take into consederation that when u buy software it is already plagerized, so y is Microsoft making so much money by selling "copying" complied source codes? Which is basically a big book made into a program that run other programs? I always wondered that? Any body else?

do you mean why they are selling xp for like 150$ retail when all they do is make copies and new cd keys? well then its b/c of all of the time/money they put into reasearch and development. vista is probably costing them at least a billion. they have to pay all of their employees too! wow thats alot of money for those nerds,lol.

priating doesn't hurt anything. (well for music inustry anyway) Most people who pirate the albums wouldn't buy them anyway. ALSO, these people make all their money from concerts, not cd sales. in fact, half the songs on the cds they don't make any money off of unless they are played on the radio. the RIAA are just money hungry that's all.

Edited by Wolf_Demon

Pirated is stolen. ( bad )

Plagiarize is stealing something and saying you made it or wrote it. ( bad x 2 )

I have had pirated materials and then got rid of them. I wanted to see what they were. I don't think you should have to buy a pig in a poke. ( purchase something, sight unseen)

DL

I feel the same way about the music. If I hear a song on the radio I like, I want to hear the rest of the before I go spend anyware from $5-$35 on something I might not even like. It might be different if you able to return the CD opened or not for you money back. But all these stores now state that they need a receipt and if, and when, the product is returned opened then you can only return it for another copy of the same product.

I find this very wrong. It is one of the underlying reasons that I believe piracy is so big. People want to know that their money is not wasted on something that looks better, or sounds better, then it realy is.

But for the sake of argument, people should also know better what they want before they just buy something. For example:

No person I know would buy a car, new or used, without knowing if its the right model, price, and many other things that they want and need. But also, the information about cars is more widespread and less involved then music or software. You don't need to to anything about a car to know if you like it or not. This is not true about music or software.

It's a moral choice, really.

so, I guess it would be ok if someone came and took something from you that you worked very hard to obtain, like maybe a recording contract. the artists make their living from royalty returns.

I like the option of legal downloads that usually are around 99 cents per song. this way i am legal, the artist gets the royalty and i can get the one song i like from the album without buying the CD. :thumbup

all very good points. alot of piracy sites have policies that say you must delete the material within 24 hours. if you liked it, then you have to go out and buy it. it doesn't stop some people from keeping it though. but i find it true for every CD i've ever heard, is that the only song i liked was the one that was played on the radio.

if you want just that one song..they aren't gonna make money off of you buying the cd (since it was on the radio) and they definately aren't gonna make money if you buy it off of Itunes or Napster...that's where piracy comes in for some people. i myself loved the Cowby Bebop show, along with the music, and everything related. i downloaded the soundtrack and it was very cool. i plan to go out and buy it this weekend.

Edited by Wolf_Demon