A Folder creating Problem

The Rock

Hello people.

A folder on my 4th partition (F:\)(19GB) is not accessible, deletable or do-anythingable.

as a i click on it, computer hangs. i go to it using CMD, PC hangs again.

I use:-

1)Norton Antivirus 2005 (UPDATED TILL DATE)

2)MicroSoft AntiSpyware (UPDATED TILL DATE)

3)SpyBot S&D 1.4 (UPDATED TILL DATE)

4)Ad-Aware Professional Edition 1.06r1 (UPDATED TILL DATE)

I cleaned everything. But the time they access the folder, computer hangs.

it started since this morning, when last night i successfully ran these softwares and Defragged using PerfectDisk7.

fsutil dirty query f:

Shows the drive is NOT dirty.

i scanned it last night to find it as OK.

But today, scandisk fail and Computer hangs.

All my setups, movies, songs are in this drive and i need it badly.

Is there anyways i cud use this folder again without loss of data?

my drive is seagate st340014a.

Any Suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Rock

the problem seems to lie in 1 of the 4 subfolders and i have problem deleting it. But it is not deleting. If i use GUI, it hangs, if i go to CMD and use REM FOLDER XYZ, it hangs. Anyway i can delete this stupid thing?

The Rock

:hello:

When the computer hangs, does the HD LED still burns? If so, you probably have a bad cluster.

If,not, chances are less, but still probable.

Only thing you can do is do a full surface scan with chkdsk /r option and hope it can be repaired. (usually it will be repaired, with bad files deleded) (if the comp freezes during chkdsk, try again a few times)

Afther that, best you back up all data and do a low format.

Greets

Davor

Edited by Davor

People, Thanks for your concern.

let me answer your questions.

I can go to the Safe modwe, but to get the hang again.

i tried SCANDISK /r 10000 times.

I cant rename the folder. Even if i click on it, it hangs.

The HardDisk LED doesnot Blink.

This problem is with a folder containing some 30-35 .pdf files.

Thanks,

The Rock

@riz....The moment is it clicked. nothing can be done. But somewhow i opened the task manager, but all the regular processes are there. No Virus etc.

@Chilifrei.... Yes i have tried that. And every other existing syntax of scandisk.

Thanks for sparing some time.

The Rock

Hi there,

I'd start getting everything else n that partition (and physical drive) backed up if something is failing.

If you can get everything else off the partition, can you format it?

Also, I'm sure that seagate must do some sort of tools to test drives - maybe those are worth trying BUT check if they destroy data before you try them.

...Spence

How to take ownership of a folder

• How to take ownership of a file

• REFERENCES

On this Page

INTRODUCTION

MORE INFORMATION

REFERENCES

INTRODUCTION

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or a folder where you have been denied access.

If you must access a file or a folder that you do not have access to, you must take ownership of that file or folder. When you do this, you replace the security permissions to have access.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

How to take ownership of a folder

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Back to the top

How to take ownership of a file

Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.

5. Click Add.

6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.

7. Click OK.

8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.

9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

People, thanks for your concern.

Saraband, the problem is not ACCESS DENIED, i know how to take the ownership very well.

the problem is the folder hangs the PC whenever it is accessed.

I am trying to format the drive with the DATA backed up.

Will update later.

Thanks,

The Rock

option: 1

create a 98 start up disk

go to ur hanged drive

copy all the documents of hanged drive to healthy drive

format the hanged drive

option 2
create start up disk with norton ghost (any version)

boot in command prompt

create ghost image of hanged drive

boot ur system

extract the contents of the ghost image to healthy drive with the help of norton ghost explorer,

if extraction is successful format the drive,,

if cannot format , delete the partition and create again.

U can try acronis disk director suite as well

Edited by Nepali