what's the Diff b/t Windows Media Center n XP Home

rhythmnsmoke

My g/f mom has a Gateway(don't ask) that came with Windows Media Center Edition on it. I can't really tell what the difference is between it and XP Home, besides a few little media geared software that's installed. But internally, there must be something different between the two, because she had purchased Norton Internet security for it, and the freakin thing wouldn't launch properly. You had to go in and fix the software and edit the registry just for it to work(didn't go over to well for a semi-noob 40+ year old woman). So, she had been trying to fix it for like 3 weekends straight, till finally she came to me for help, and I double checked everything for her, then came to find out that the executable had the wrong path in it. I had to go in and change the path so that it would point to the proper .MSI file so that it would run the configuration screen. Then she bought the Anti-Spam software, and the same thing, however, I don't know what the path is for it yet, because she couldn't find the information.

What's up with the AV products software and them being compatible with MC edition?

Did she get the latest nsa 2005 or sav 10?? I wouild only try the latest products with mce. That is kind of like windowx xb ytablet edition. Some software works great, some 1/2, and others not at all. I would recomend sav or another free av that works well. Let me know if you have the new versions.

Did she get the latest nsa 2005 or sav 10?? I wouild only try the latest products with mce. That is kind of like windowx xb ytablet edition. Some software works great, some 1/2, and others not at all. I would recomend sav or another free av that works well. Let me know if you have the new versions.

I think she got the Norton Internet Security 2005 and the Norton Anti-spam 2005. She can't get the Live Updates to work on the NIS and she can't get the execuatble to launch the console for the Anti-spam (unless she is in Outlook, then she can play around with settings for specific e-mails) from the desktop shortcut. Funny thing is, I installed our security software onto her machine and it works perfect. But our software was to secure for her (if there ever was such a thing).

Can you not sell ImmuneEngine to your future Mother-in-Law… :P

it was the network version that I had put on there for the time being. seeing as how this was the very stuff that was intended to be installed on networks, it locked down a lot of stuff and was to powerful for a semi-noob home user like herself. but now she is starting to realize that I probably have the only alternative. She isn't to happy with Norton right now. She has been e-mailing back and forth to Tech. support (which we all know tech support people don't ever know crap about computers), and they just keep telling her to try stuff she has already tried. And the messed up thing is, that in order to talk to someone on the phone, they charge you like $30. She has had it for no more than a week, and they don't provide any free tech. support (Not even for a limited time). So, needless to say, she is not paying $30 for a phone conversation.

Here is one of the problems she is having. When she goes to do a live update, and the update comes back with certain parts are not being updated. It says here subscription date (or whatever it's called) is dated at 12/something/1899. Norton even has the problem listed on their site. It's states something like "If your Live Update is reading a date of 1899, then there are several solutions to the problem". Then it proceeds to list like 8 different solutions (to which none have worked so far).

The tech. support lady that she is in contact with through e-mail, requested screen shots. So I had to take the screen shots for her, so she could attach them into the e-mail and send it to the lady.