adding regtweaks through HIVEDEF.INF

bmn

hi

actaully i was searching for a method for adding regtweaks for all useraccounts.

EX:- visual settings

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"ListviewWatermark"=dword:00000000

"ListviewShadow"=dword:00000001

"ListviewAlphaSelect"=dword:00000000

i tried cmd lines.txt,runonceEX.cmd but non of them worked.(these r working only for current account.when i create another account,iam not able to get those settings).during search i found this method.ie HIVEDEF.INF

so i converted above regfiles to inf format.

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewShadow",0x00010001,1

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewWatermark",0x00010001,0

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewAlphaSelect",0x00010001,0

but it also failed.so what iam doing wrong?

help me pls

thanks

You have to apply the regtweaks to HKCU itself, that part you are doing right.

The other part is, you need to apply it at T-13 (via cmdlines.txt) - if this part is not working for you, then maybe there's some error in the way it was done....

That way, you get the tweaks applied to the default user (which is the base for all users created after first boot). Therefore all users will have it applied.

Its working fine for me. Basically you do this:

create a file called "cmdlines.txt" directly in the $OEM$ folder. (note: no spaces in filename).

That cmdlines.txt file gets parsed as if it was a batch file, at T-13, automatically by windows setup. Have the paths written correctly. Here's my cmdlines.txt, for a sample:

[Commands]
"regedit /S mytweaks.reg"

(where the file "mytweaks.reg" is also placed in the same directory - $OEM$)

Do try it and tell us how it goes :thumbup

firstly thanks prathapml for ur reply.

yes.iam using cmdlines.txt

my other regtweaks r applied through this cmdlines.even that ListviewShadow=1 key is also working but only for the account to whcih autologin is enabled(using oobinfo) for installing appz(wpi).

but when i create another account(manually through control pannel) that regkey failed.

**what abt ths HIVEDEF.INF

can i use this for regkeys.

Nothing to say, as far as my end is concerned. :)

Because I had the same requirement as you described, and the solution i posted, is the one that works perfectly... If its not working, it might be user-error.

As for the INFs, there's a number of reasons as to why editing the ones in i386 is NOT the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
hi

actaully i was searching for a method for adding regtweaks for all useraccounts.

EX:- visual settings

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"ListviewWatermark"=dword:00000000

"ListviewShadow"=dword:00000001

"ListviewAlphaSelect"=dword:00000000

i tried cmd lines.txt,runonceEX.cmd but non of them worked.(these r working only for current account.when i create another account,iam not able to get those settings).during search i found this method.ie HIVEDEF.INF

so i converted above regfiles to inf format.

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewShadow",0x00010001,1

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewWatermark",0x00010001,0

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewAlphaSelect",0x00010001,0

but it also failed.so what iam doing wrong?

help me pls

thanks

To get what you want, add to HIVEDEF.INF:

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewShadow",0x00010003,0x00000001

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewWatermark",0x00010003,0x00000000

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","ListviewAlphaSelect",0x00010003,0x00000000

I'm not sure about the hive-files, but I can tell you this.....

Some of the reg-settings are set by XP on the first login. That means after runonceex (or what it's called) is done. An example of this would be the SmallIcons for Explorer.

What I did, was that I created a .cmd to run after the reboot after runonceex to set all those settings.

Don't know if it helps.