Content.IE5 - what?

terrypin

I've been trying to unravel a mystery (concerning embedded MP3 and WMA files in PowerPoint and Word docs, but that's another story). In the course of that I stumbled across this puzzle. One application I was using (my music player) referred me to a file that was in a folder like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF

I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But why? (I can view all other hidden/system files I think.) And how would I find the files they contain?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

:hello:

Well, aspenjim gave you an answer. Anyhow, here is more:

When you open the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder you see all the files that are IN THE Content.IE folder. In other words, the files in 'Temporary Internet Files' refere to their exact location which is 'Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE\xxxxxx\yourfile.extension'.

The reason the player showed the path, but the file wasn't there is because it once was there, but was deleted and the player didn't refresh it's list. As the name suggests: it's about temporary files: they come and go.

You can SEE THE EXACT FOLDER STRUCTURE if you logon with another user account, and go to C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files--> then you will see the contents.IE folder and NO other files.

Also, looking from your account, contents.IE folder isn't visible, but it's still ACCESIBLE: just type C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 in start->run or CMD

As for why this is so (seemengly dubble files, hidden contents.IE folder, maps with names as numbers,...), I once read it's because of security reasons not known to me, which i would like to know ;)

That enough?

Greets

Davor

Edited by Davor

C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\083A8GIF

I tried to use Windows Explorer to find that but was surprised that I couldn't do so. I gather these 'Content.IE5' folders are hidden. But why? (I can view all other hidden/system files I think.) And how would I find the files they contain?

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

If you are using Win. XP, run Disk Cleaner, select 'Temporary Internet Files', select 'View Files'.

This will take you to C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

-

Well, aspenjim gave you an answer.

To a question I didn't ask ;)

Anyhow, here is more:

When you open the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder you see all the files that are IN THE Content.IE folder. In other words, the files in 'Temporary Internet Files' refere to their exact location which is 'Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE\xxxxxx\yourfile.extension'.

Not true here. None of the files in Content.IE5 appear to be in the 'standard Explorer view' of TIF.

Here's a screenshot showing both Content.IE5 obtained as above, and the 'normal' view of TIF:

TIF-Contents1.gif

You can't see, but there are *no* subfolders in the latter. Almost all seem to be Cookies.

Also, ETO36HQ9 just contains one file (an unimportant JPG I haven't used for a couple of days!) and the other subfolder is empty.

And, to add another aspect of the puzzle, those screenshots were taken immediately after opening IE6 and using Tools>Internet Options and deleting all files and all offline files! (Maybe a reboot is needed as a follow-up?)

The reason the player showed the path, but the file wasn't there is because it once was there, but was deleted and the player didn't refresh it's list. As the name suggests: it's about temporary files: they come and go.

You can SEE THE EXACT FOLDER STRUCTURE if you logon with another user account, and go to C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files--> then you will see the contents.IE folder and NO other files.

Also, looking from your account, contents.IE folder isn't visible, but it's still ACCESIBLE: just type C:\Documents and Settings\Terry Pinnell\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 in start->run or CMD

Thanks, yes, I found that elsewhere meanwhile. In fact that's the only way I can see the folders and their contents. (BTW, it works from my regular account; there's only me on this PC, and I have Administrator status of course.)

As for why this is so (seemengly dubble files, hidden contents.IE folder, maps with names as numbers,...), I once read it's because of security reasons not known to me, which i would like to know ;)
Before emptying TIF, there were about 8 subfolders; I didn't check all their contents, but they were an odd mix of stuff. None of it looked worthy of secret hiding!
That enough?

Greets

Davor

Thanks, appreciate your helpful reply ;)

--

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Hmm, The cookies is normal. They probably refer to the cookies flder in your documents and settings folder.

Its normal that you don't see the ETO36HQ9 and GD6ZoLAN in the TIF folder, but you should see the jpg file :blushing:

Cleaning IE cahche doesn't include clearing coockies. In IE options-> you have 2 buttons, 1 for clearing files, other for clearing cookies. I haven't tested myself the cookie button (like cookies ;)), but i assume that once clearing them, the TIF folder should be empty and the contens.IE5 folder would 'almost' be empty.

Before emptying TIF, there were about 8 subfolders; I didn't check all their contents, but they were an odd mix of stuff. None of it looked worthy of secret hiding!

I doens't seem to be worth of hiding indeed, but there was something about it. maybe one of these days i will look further into it.

Greets

Davor