These can't be System Files?

keithy397

Hi guys,

I ran some advanced pc optimiser thing that someone suggested and it changed the look of my sys files in the defrag to what it looks like now. Where the cursor is on screenshot is to which I refer here. Even though my free space is still 30% (ish) when I try a defrag, it says got less than 10% free??

ff30a5ad.jpg

After a lot of leg work I managed to track down from Control Panel > System > Advanced (tab) > Performance > Performance Options that the paging file size had been changed from 480mb to 1728mb!!! I changed it back and whilst I got my free space back, the bloated reading of sys files in the defrag analysis remains.

Also, the current Registry memory usage is 30mb and is set to max of 74, is this OK?

Also + 1! when opening the Performance Options in the Application Response I notice the Background Services has the exact same settings as the Applcications, is this OK?

I would probably never have noticed this had it not been for the defrag display.

Any ideas?

Keith.

Edited by keithy397

This is something that always struck me. How does a system administrator have control over their users trash can files. For example there does not seem an inbuilt way to automaticalyl reclaim trash can files if they are over a set age since deletion.

So a guess maybe for you to check every user accounts trash can and empty it.

The next thing maybe worth booting the machine, checking in task manager the amount of used memory and seeing if you can set the paging files to zero or rather turn off all paging support (not recommed with less than 256Mb RAM). A system does not need it until it runs out of ram for the acive set of data currently in use, since you can't use the system effectivly while defrag anyway this supposes your system is idle when you do all this.

Then run defrag. again and again. Until happy.

Then go back and put the paging file back to normal.

Then reboot.

Forgot to add... after chaning any paging file settings the system almost certainlty needs a reboot, to both sort out the allocated space in the file system and to sort out the memory layout of the kernel.