How to reassign the system/boot volume to C:\?

coucou

Hi,

My hard disk (HDD0) partition C:\ is assigned to G:\. I can't access to my Program files, data... :(

I ran Administartive Tools/Disk Management, right click on HDD0 partition G:\, and selected "Change Drive Letter and Path". The system returned this message: "Windows cannon modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume"

Is there anyhow to reassign the system/boot volume to C:\ via registryor utility???

TNX

coucou

One-two weeks ago I have lost my system after installing another

system disk with WinXP for recovery. This disk was installed on IDE#0, my system disk was installed on IDE#1. I had selected the disk for boot over BIOS startup menu (m/b support selection boot drive over F9).

Then Windows XP was loaded from my disk, my disk was assigned to G:. After uninstalling another disk, I can not boot from my disk in normal and safe modes.

I had no reasons to restore my system on an old disk - I had new Seagate 7200.8 250 Gb and restore WindowsXP on it over HDD`s image on DVDs.

@darth_ash: TNX... unfortunately it doesn't help!

@Elektrik: Same problem as you... I was curious to repair it via registry... I'll restore it from Ghost image.

Regards

coucou

This, I knwo for sure, has come up a couple/few times in this thread besides you. I personally dont think it is possible to move all of windows from one drive letter to another.. Program files directory.. maybe yes.. Documents and settings folder, yes again.. But not all of windows direcotry.. There are sooooo many things to change just that I am aware of.. Probally many more too.

Reinstall or restore from a ghost image is definately the best way to go.