MAC On PC?

pulkit

I saw it in the General Discussions

It was Posted by Prathapml.But the other day it was gone :(

I want to know eagerly is it really possible to install MAC OS on the

regular pc

I have AMD 3200+ 64 bits 939 socket pro

If it can be done please post how to do it?

Yes, its possible.

Apple recently declared its intention to move to Intel processors in place of PowerPC procs by IBM.

So they sent out a few Developer machines to a select number of people to help with the transition of code for the new platform. These machines ran the Mac OS-X (v10.4, tiger) built for intel procs with SSE3, but the OS is still a preview, not a final version.

FYI, its quite possible that the final OS-X will still run only on hardware made by Apple. Because Apple is mainly a hardware company and their OS is an incidental product, made to sell the hardware. In effect, all that changed is the processor alone - OS-X will still remain in an exclusive club of Apple customers.

But for now, the ray of hope is that the Apple Developer Kit machines ran quite a generic version of the OS, not locked down to specific hardware. Therefore, any processor that supports SSE3 instruction set can run it (meaning the Athlon64, Pentium4). The PC-version of Mac-OS is floating around on P2P networks, being (obviously) a massive popular download.

It must be said, though, that its not very easy to get it working - its still a geek toy, and it takes close to an hour, before its all running fine.

Is this sufficient info? Enjoy. :)

ahem, as prathapml said it is indeed possible. You need a processor with SSE3 support, although i read some parts will work under just SSE2. I've read the directions on how its installed. Originally it could only be installed on an empty hard drive, but someone got it working under a secondary partition and dual-booting it with windows has been achieved. VGA support at the moment is limited to Intel integrated graphics i think, and theres a guide on how to build your own mac for about $200 :)

Just google: "osx x86". ;)

yep, there's a hack that let you run it on sse2 machines (if i remember correctly only itunes and another app fail to run there).

for the moment the only possibility if you don't have the hardware is to use a VM like m$ VPC or VMware.

anyway i'll stick to windows/ubuntu and let's see what happens on its final version :)