Disp. Prop. Desktop Tab not responding

gregD

XP Pro SP2.

Display Properties Desktop Tab... does not respond. I can drag the window around (and system won't lock). I can 'use' any other tab but Desktop.

I've also lost the ability to right click an image and 'Set as Desktop Background'.

I run SAV, TrojanHunter... etc.

Nightly Scans.

Adaware, SpywareBlaster, etc.

No virii.

No trojans.

No malware.

HiJack this (whiich one would think it may be) is absolutely clean.

That rig is NOT used for ANY downloading (other than email - which is prescanned with Mailwasher Pro).

I run Firefox 1.06 when I do venture online on that rig (its for gaming and editing only).

Here's the kicker, System Restore will not. :D

What happens is, after the OS shuts down, the System Restore window will open, and the bar will speed across. Of course, the Restore fails. Any restore I choose. My image (any Image I choose) done with Acronis 8 (only the OS partition is imaged) does not "fix" the problem with the display tab.

That tells me the problem lays elsewhere.

Question is, where else can it lay?

I've replaced winnint.dll, no fix.

I've deleted and rebooted user/windows/current verions/policy/system.. no fix.

I am stumped.

Ideas?

Sounds like one of those random Windows things. I had a similar problem; the Game Controllers panel just would not open no matter what I did, until I reinstalled. And I've noticed a bug that appeared out of nowhere one day and has since survived several reinstalls and replacement of every component except the CD drive; sometimes the Start menu doesn't redraw properly, leaving large black spots. Windows is just like that. It 'erodes'.

Yup, randoms do happen.

Having said that, there is no way this could/should survive an image. Which means, it must be something else.

Edit...

K, I've just restored my original image (all updates and drivers only). Working again.

This, does not make sense.

Gonna open up 10GB and leave unallocated. :D

Hmmm

Edited by gregD