Decoding Microsoft keys

IcemanND

It does NOT detect Visual Studio 2008 Team System.

Get me a copy and I'll see if I can get it. :)

Really, see if you can find the DigitalProductID value for it in the regsitry and tell me the full registry path to it and I'll see why it is not being found. You can use the Enterprise v2.28 and select the Settings Menu, then slect the last option to 'Search the entire registry for product keys' and it will hopefully return the value and the registry location for it.

For Visual Studio 2008, there's a [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Registration] registry key with three values : PIDKEY, ProductID and UserName.

PIDKEY contains the actual product key without dashes.

Did you install Visual Studio with a Transform file? Some previous version would put the PIDKEY in when a transform was use and the digitalproductid when manually installed.

I believe so. The product key is embedded in my installation.

• 2 weeks later...

@NorseLaQuet -

Did you try this? or check for the pidkey value jcarle found in the registry on his machine?

Really, see if you can find the DigitalProductID value for it in the registry and tell me the full registry path to it and I'll see why it is not being found. You can use the Enterprise v2.28 and select the Settings Menu, then slect the last option to 'Search the entire registry for product keys' and it will hopefully return the value and the registry location for it.

• 6 months later...
Got my hands on Visual Studio 2003 Student and Professional and tested. Added them and Office XP.

Also found issue with Project 2002 - working on update for tomorrow.

Still looking for someone to test 2000 server.

Thanks all for the assistance thus far.

If anyone has further suggestions, please let me know.

Hello,

unfortunately it doesn't work on my notebook, running Vista Home Premium 32bit, installed also Office 2007 Business Edition.

Following error occurs :

Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered :

a file is missing or invalid

Does anyone knows, what does it means ?

Best Regards...

nayss

***EDIT on Oct. 25th 2009***

problem is solved. the data-media has been corrupted, so this file was unable to read.

thanx for answering at all.

best regards nayss

Edited by nayss

You need a copy of comdlg32.ocx on your machine usually end sup on your system from some other software install. It's not a redistributable file so I can't include it with the executable but you can find it on the web for download, just put it in the same folder as the exe or in the system32 directory.

• 9 months later...

First, thanks for the work.

I ended up in this forum after hours spent on searching how to find the product key for an Office 97 installation, for which no key related to any type of registration exists in my registry. Only Access 97 has been installed, and is working.

No software was able to find any info on this but Belarc Advisor, which gave me a Product ID only (all programs find my XP and Office 2K3 keys without problems).

I wasn't able to use keydecoder to get the key from this PID, it stays on "collecting information from..."

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !

FG

If I remember correctly, Office 97 DID NOT store the key in the Registry. (which would be a good reason why it cannot be found there ;)).

During the install/setup the actual .exe was edited and user/registration was embedded into it.

I am pretty sure that at least Excel worked like that, but of course my memory could be failing.(or maybe it was Office 4.3 that worked like that)

jaclaz

• 10 months later...
Guest wsxedcrfv

> I've written my own application to get and display the Windows and Office cd keys.

Um - where do I download this application from?

• 10 months later...