[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

This project is great, I was looking for a way to remove all the crud from windows to make it my gaming OS ( I use linux as my mainstream OS) and I found this, which is what I wanted and more.

By the way is this going to be released soon or should I install normal windows for the time being?

ive been trying a  thing to shrink .dll s...

gdogg, if you're not already aware of it, this may be of use to you as well...

UPX.

i started compressing FF and TB exe's/dll's and noticed a significant decrease in load times, plus the space savings. you just have to be careful what switches you use.

Dude, if u wanna open an upx compressed exe, the loadtime isnt faster, coss it hass to decompress the exe first, and then launch it... Check their website.

hmm interesting

should this work with optimised firefox too?

cause its already dammmnn fast

like 1/3 or 1/8 the load times of regular firefox , they even got one for thurderbird, i just grabed it now, also, much faster load times

you should really check them out, http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/

Edited by gdogg

I did that some time ago, and I can confirm it makes loading and even browsing in Firefox a bit faster. But it requires more CPU when starting up, I think. Maybe also when rendering web pages.

launching execuatable, windows places executable in memmory --> it launches

with upx

launchin executable, decompressing to memmory --> it launches

Checked other forums as well, its only a space saver on ur harddisk, cause it eats even more memmory according to some :/

i UPX'd all of FF exe's and dll's i can state for a fact that load time has decreased by about 1 second, both cold and warm. warm is now right about 2 seconds with quite a few plugins. this is without windows prefetching. i never checked CPU usage however.

Edited by atomizer

ok, first load on my computer is 2 seconds, warm boot isn't even 1 second, maybe 1/8th a second, so i think its all good for me to not bother with it

are you using the optimised firefox builds yet?

Edited by gdogg

I have to say that I'm looking forward to a USB-thumbdrive version of Windows XP, that isn't based on the Embedded XP's... This project is inspiration for all of us that have tried things like this ourselves, and failed....