[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

Hi

Jetico Personal Firewall for Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XPv.1.0 freeware

Only 2.7MB

Is probably the Best firewall, and works with MicrowinX, I'ts pretty lite.

it is a good one

I agree! Jetico Personal Firewall 1x is the smallest of the most functional firewalls!

Checked with Task Manager when testing it under Windows 2000 Pro SP4, when I did, it had the smallest RAM usage.

BTW, if you're also thinking about Comodo Firewall, you shouldn't even bother trying, unless you hope for a workaround, because I gotten error pop-ups and that was it when Internet Explorer was removed.

Is there a chance that the most workable microwinx iso's will end up as a torrent? I fully understand the legal policy when altering a properitary product, but I am sure someone into performance tweaking an OS is a dirty soul enough to go by illegal means. The instructions in the guide are more than managable but I get the feeling that is's not complete without research done in this thread. Any easy fix for a :blink: gamer? I'll still read the post because I want to see the empire get thinner, but for practical issues in a world that are changing to fast for my time spent in it.

Expect things to start getting interesting april. like 3.0 public source. forums getting a few new sections. wiki getting updated. guides appearing. huge amount of examples in the forum of text that is .cmd scripts. And if the new method is accepted, more freedom to change things, customisability and well just more more more, :D cause we all love to share what we can, once we know what to do.

Currently my project is sitting on raid set, I have no access to, until I get my motherboard rma'd again, and back.

I hate giving dates of a release because I am not reliable. (yes honestly I am not reliable) but I give public source beta 3.0 to be release no later than april 19th. (yes i'll spend my 2-8 hours on it, maybe it'll take 30 mins, but I am allowed to be lazy right? lol)

But first comes overclocking my pc, after I recover the data from the raid set, i'll switch to the intel, then main goal is project, project , project.

One good thing from these problems, i'll have a greater test base for the project, and be able to shrink down more drivers.

Here is the tests beds i'll have availiable now.

NF4 + Amd64 939

amd RD600 + intel c2d

intel p965 w/ ich8 + intel c2d

NV 7800 + sli

amd x2900xtx in the coming months.

This will allow for gpu folding support to be added to microwinx

regular folding support is gonna link to guides.

Being as the 1 year annivesry is comming soon, I plan on doing a large update once again.

Hardware support is gonna be the main objective, but will be done 1 at a time.

But the biggest change, is in order to become public source. It will become more complicated for the user, but guides will try to make that a simple copy the picture and away you go.

It will probbally leave the addon pack idea, and go back to the $oem$ way, in order to make it easier for users to add there own scripts along with microwinX, and edit it to there liking.

Also the microwinX wiki, will become a new place, where users can add there idea's, share things they've added. etc.

I know some users have had ideas, that I didn't agree with for the project, this will be there time to change and share it the way they like.

As with all public source things, a copy of the origional source will be required, but you'll be able to call it something else, if you've made changes, and wish to get credit for your work.

But your work must be contributed back to the community, where others can also use your work, add something else, and call its something else once again.

I hope this become more of a community effort, and I will give some time to it again, in the form of informative guide.

Samples of patching software.

Samples of howto add hardware support not added. ETC.

I hope all current users of microwinX, who have figured this out for themselve, to become community involved and share that with all other microwinX users, and a more community based effort, to accel microwinX forward.

So what does this mean for users, more changes, more options, more control.

Also, vista will be thought about, in a incrediable small state by many users, as some have asked if I have plans for vista. If the community effort for microwinX in public source, goes well, and microwinX grows.

The community who does that will also switch to vista one day, and with the community, the resources and man power will be there, to do the same micro'ised idea with vista.

In the end, changes are coming and I will be contributing my work on it, in a bunch of small releases, encryption of files, will be gone, everything will be open, and things should be easily understood by many of the users.

This is what I wanted in the first place, things got all confused, but honestly, I am more p***ed than anyone else that I allowed this to happen.

The other forums, will be where the community effort will be mainly. Since i'll be dedicating myself to the project again, when its public source.

So if your program doesn't work, you'd make a post, of what program you want to work. I'll give you a .cmd script in text, which you'd copy to a .cmd file to run it.

This was, the understanding of whats going on, gets seen, and understood, so all users will be able to easily patch there software, and when they can't, they'll have a community to help them with it, even if thats just me.

So yah, rant over, things are going back to the simplest way to do things.

Edited by gdogg

Is there a chance that the most workable microwinx iso's will end up as a torrent? I fully understand the legal policy when altering a properitary product, but I am sure someone into performance tweaking an OS is a dirty soul enough to go by illegal means. The instructions in the guide are more than managable but I get the feeling that is's not complete without research done in this thread. Any easy fix for a :blink: gamer? I'll still read the post because I want to see the empire get thinner, but for practical issues in a world that are changing to fast for my time spent in it.

yes they are all over the place, those torr's you speak off. Kinda sad though, I do something so people can do it legally, then google gets flooded with images, that have cd-keys built in :blink: .

anyway, i am sure beta 3.0 will lead to other somewhat shady projects, getting to use some of these things, if your interest is in those, instead of doing it for yourself :angel

Has anybody been able to PM/E-Mail him?

Seems a crying shame really, I used MicrowinX for a stage, but networking woes forced me to use stock XP :( **** Steam/CS:S lol

How long has it been since anybody's been in touch with him?

steam and cs source patch, will be compliacted, but its working for me. expect release along with beta 3.0 or a week after.

pathces will not be build in at first, but will be in the forums, every month from beta 3.0, patches will added into a pack that adds them to start menu.

it will be more of update the microwinX have 3.0, like, run a .cmd that installs the patch script, and start menu entries to them

edit

not bumping the thread, honest, this was just to keep things organised, there will be no more tripple posts like this.

Thanks

Edited by gdogg

• 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of community involvement.

But mainly the frequent insults and claims of stealing others work, while I do google searches, from people I even gave credit to when they brought nothing to the project.

This project is closed to the public, all future releases will be privately distributed to a select few. (you'd be on my msn)

Sorry to any of you who liked this project, or looked forward to a new release.

You can continue using beta 2.5, but it won't be available for download any more, I recommend saving it, and not losing the password.

Sorry spazmire11, for involving you, then doing this.

I have moved on to other things in my life, and microwinX is just too much work for one person to do, and support the things everyone wants.

This thread can be locked/closed and burried at any time mods.

GDogg.

Edited by gdogg

Has anybody been able to PM/E-Mail him?

Seems a crying shame really, I used MicrowinX for a stage, but networking woes forced me to use stock XP :( **** Steam/CS:S lol

How long has it been since anybody's been in touch with him?

What type of networking woes? It's less likely to have problems with broadband.

Are you still using a POTS (56k or lower) internet connection?

Edited by RJARRRPCGP