[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

Hello gdogg..

I'm new to your project and started looking into your work here. I read a lot of this forum but 58 pages is way to much to get through. Anyway I have started the nlite part of the install but added back in a few things I use for my laptop. Anyway I have a few questions I hope you can answer or maybe someone who knows your work can answer.

1. Where are these steps after nlite that I keep hearing about? Where are those referenced. I went to your page and got the 2.5beta & cant find anymore then the nlite guide part of your install.

2. Why do you use Nlite 1.0rc7 and not at least 1.01 the most stable version of nlite?

3. I was reading that media player classic did not work, does it still not work?

4. Can you explain a little better how your system ends up being virus free. Do you do things like change the name of common exacutables & files in windows and redo reg entries for those files? OR is it way more then that. From my reading here I have drawn the conclution thats what your possibly doing.

5. The one things I'm the most interested in is performance comming back by using a variation of your install. I really wanna keep a lot of my apps like office 2k3 and mpc and I know a small install has to be faster but I dont mind having one bigger then 57mb. Heck anything around 300-500mb would be fine. What i'd like to get is an outline of what you did that made the biggest boosts in performance? Maybe the top list of performance gainers? I know thats a lot to ask for but if you got a forum or post you can point me towards thats great.

6. What is the status on this project? whats the time frame of 3.0 beta?

Hope you or someone else can answer my qestions.

Thanks

Edited by Madhits45

I don't get topic notifications for this thread anymore for some reason.

sorry for the delay, both of them.

newer versions of nlite wont allow the combination I chose to add to beta 3.0 for hardware support.

this means older version it is.

and after that, it will be public licence, and all changes will be done by users, this will be when I stop working on microwinX and only make updates based on what users what to add.

I think its done, rest it upto the users, and under a public licence they'll be able to use it.

My time is being spent elsewhere, and after 8 months of not being able to get the next version of nlite to be workable, I figured what choice do I got now but, old version of nlite.

Beta 3.0 will have the following.

explorer themed as defaults shell due to popular demand.

litestep

bblean

explorer classic option

dhcp/dns

printers/scanners

wireless cards

most people still dont understand, if you dont click shrinkdown, your just using nlite.

Edited by gdogg

• 1 month later...

my new 680i motherboard died after 6 days, and I am currenting using an emachine, and have no access to my microwinX work, waiting on getting the board back.

so expect it around later.

Hi gdogg, thanx for your replay! I used nlite RC3 and your Last_Session.ini this is working and I manged to get a XP around 300 mb. But no smaller XP than 300 mb, so I really love to use/see your MircoWinX 3 project. So :thumbup for your projekt and I hope you will get your board back soon.

my new 680i motherboard died after 6 days

Sorry to hear that :( Why did it die? Please give a reason (bad capacitors, etc). Also, who is the manufacturer? If it's Asus, my advice would be: Don't buy Asus mobos!!!!

and I am currenting using an emachines
LOL. I have a Gateway, so how funny is that? :D
and have no access to my microwinX work

Um, just take the hard drive out and put it in another PC. Problem solved. ;)

waiting on getting the board back

If it's an Asus mobo, forget about it. They have the worst support. Period.

Also, If you don't get the board fixed (or a least a new one), avoid Sony at all costs. Trust me, their support is worse than Asustek's.

Edited by wilgaa

my new 680i motherboard died after 6 days

Sorry to hear that :( Why did it die? Please give a reason (bad capacitors, etc). Also, who is the manufacturer? If it's Asus, my advice would be: Don't buy Asus mobos!!!!

and I am currenting using an emachines
LOL. I have a Gateway, so how funny is that? :D
and have no access to my microwinX work

Um, just take the hard drive out and put it in another PC. Problem solved. ;)

waiting on getting the board back
If it's an Asus mobo, forget about it. They have the worst support. Period.

Also, If you don't get the board fixed (or a least a new one), avoid Sony at all costs. Trust me, their support is worse than Asustek's.

1. EVGA 680i , memory issues, very common.

2. Heh

3. Raid 0 is preventing that

4. NCIX is letting me trade it in, because I believe there is no fixing the issue with memory, as many have gone through 3 boards in just over a month, with the same issues as me.

5. Getting a dfi rd600 crossfire board, it should fix all my issues, work great, with some special drivers, run my sli 7800 gt's, and since I'll never go nvidia again in my life, anything cause of this rushing out boards for the holidays. I will get to try out crossfire later on. :thumbup .

I tried it and repaired windows it was interesting but I like it better the old way....

After repairing the green background image is still there at booting and the logon screen is not rendered correctly and looks pixelated now till I log in. Then it looks correct for a few seconds

Please help me to remove the green image and make the logon screen right again!

Hi all..

I've recently dived into the Linux world but still need windows for me gaming, then this comes up and it look really promising. Nice work gdogg and testers... :)

I am about to gdogg my xp and have been to the microwin site and read much of this thread but I'm still in the dark about a few things...

1. Since it is resistant to viruses and spy/mal-ware, do I need to integrate the service packs? The guide is exellent, but a requirement list would be nice.

2. I thought about using a firewall and only allow the gameports for multiplayer, but is that needed with Microwin? If so, with lite firewall would you recommend?

3. Keep on rocking. :)