[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

I guess it is more important to improve the modification process (improving batchfiles, or script those things in a more modular manner (e.g. perl, ruby, python ...))

program suppport is important, but most programs work with additional dlls (everyone is able to copy them, we dont need extra batchfiles for that)

it is more important to provide support for those programs which need additional registry entries or additional system components (e.g. dhcp)

working driver or fonts cleanup is not that much important (because it is more important to me that this windows works, instead of saving 0,x megabytes ...)

Edited by vci

ok, it seems like more software patches is the biggest of the requests (other than everything).

I will be working on that mainly. Along with driver cleanup, which saves quite a few mb's of memory even though it might not save much space (maybe 3-4 MB's)

It wont be as easy as you think to get dhcp in, thats why it wasn't in the list, dial up support, will be a whole other boat once again.

but in the end, I need to get this part of the project complete before adding back a bunch of bloat.

today I made patches for shrinkto5 and Registry Defragmentation and Teamspeak2 RC2 client and server.

see below for patched software by me so far.

to get perfect disk to work, you need to put the services on auto.

Edited by gdogg

" @Gdogg, I really need dialup support. Can you please include it in the next beta!! "

I would like dialup modem support even more.It's very important

Also test these apps and make them compatible,if possible:

Mozilla Sunbird

Process Explorer

BugOff

Macromedia Flash and Shockwave Plugins for Firefox

Edited by synth

yes, but dial up support will not be in beta 3

I will think about it for post beta 3 though, but dynamic ip first.

but adding dial up support, will not be done by me, it will be done by someone else, cause I dont have a dial up modem

Edited by gdogg

More software test/patch requests:

.NET Framework 1.1

Apps:

WinXP Manager (needs .NET Framework 1.1)

nLite (needs .NET Framework 1.1)

FireTune

Audacity

Camouflage 1.21

BCRC

Emulators:

Project64 1.6

ZSNES WIP 20102005

Nestopia 1.21

KEGA Fusion 3.4

Stella 2.0

WinUAE 1.1

WinVICE 1.17

Chankast Alpha 0.25a

KiGB

VBASmooth 6.5

Gens32 Surreal 1.28

Nebula 2.25

Magic Engine 1.0 PR10

VirtuaNES 0.92e

VPinmame 1.52

ePSXe 1.60 + ePSXeCutor 1.063

Connectix VGS 1.41

bsnes 0.013

Reality Boy 0.821

Oswan

FreeDO

MESS 0.101

ZetaMAME 0.99

Edited by synth

before we add support for a bunch of useless emulators we should better provide support for more mainstream software ...

support for .net ?

hard to realize and there are alternative runtimes for nlite available ...

support for steam?

I didn't test it on microwinx

but if you use steam on a windows without IE, you will have to add 127.0.0.1 steampowered.com to your host file to get rid of the annoying popups because of the embedded html-sites in steam

@qdogg

how do you make the reg patches, with regmon and then manually by hand?

if you can make 1 package out of your patches I could upload that file ...

btw: gimp support would be cool!

Edited by vci

no beta 3 will just be the public release of what has been made already.

after beta 3 we will see dynamic ip support.

@everyone, I did something off topic a while ago, gave you some insight into my life, and had a great deal of support from the users of my project.

I would now like to post an update of the situtation. Even though it wasn't til this thurdays, I have won, and am waiting on it now. No need to worry about my internet dissapearing, or me not being able to work on this project. I will keep working on it for a long time to come.

vci,you complain much...but it does not bother me at all.Everybody has the freedom of speech :)

If you really wanna know what *I* will use with microwinX,here's a near-complete list (excluding games):

BlueFyre Optimized Firefox (browser)

Thunderbird (email client)

XnView (Image Viewer)

Foxit (PDF Reader)

Spybot S&D (anti-spyware tool)

AntiVir PE Classic (antivirus) [for on-demand scanning only]

Nero 6 (burning app)

uTorrent (bittorrent client)

WinDVD (DVD-Audio and DVD-Video playback software) [one of the 3 apps that will bloat microwinX,but it's needed]

Tune-Up Utilities 2006 (tweaker,optimizer and manager)

CCleaner (Junk and Registry Crap Cleaner)

PerfectDisk (defragmenter)

Winamp (audio player)

OpenOffice.org (office software) [one of the 3 apps that will bloat microwinX,but I need this]

GetRight (download manager)

Alcohol 120% (virtual drive emulator)

mIRC (IRC client)

K-Lite Codec Pack & Media Player Classic (codecs and multipurpose media player) [one of the 3 apps thing that will bloat the Windows]

EAC (CD ripping software)

PhotoFiltre and/or GIMP (image editing tool)

MP3 DirectCut (mp3 editor without recoding)

Cool Edit (wave editor)

Multi Frontend + LAME,OggVorbis and FLAC encoders (multipurpose audio encoder)

Teleport Pro (website ripper/webcrawler)

NetLimiter (bandwidth limiter)

SpeedFan (CPU underclocking/cooling app,saves energy that goes to waste when your PC is idling and cools your system for that time)

PCInspector File Recovery (the best recovery tool)

FlashFXP (FTP client)

Miranda (Instant Messaging,except IRC,I use mIRC for IRC chat)

Everest (the best system information tool)

eMule (eDonkey/KAD client)

SpywareBlaster (antispyware tool that blocks everything Spybot S&D doesn't)

kX drivers (audio drivers for Audigy soundcards with the least bloat and much better sound than that Creative crap)

Notepad (the simplest text editor you cannot do without) :)

See,there's not one single program that is bad or unnecessary,and 90% of them are free :)

But people are different many don't like what I chose,for example many prefer MS Office over OpenOffice.org,or Sound Forge instead of Cool Edit,PowerDVD instead of WinDVD,

Opera,not Firefox and thunderbird,WinXP Manager instead of Tune-Up Utilities 2006,FlashGet or Free Download Manager instead of GetRight,BitComet or something else instead of uTorrent,

O&O Defrag instead of PerfectDisk,AVG or NOD32 instead of AntiVir PE Classicetc.

See,different people,different tastes.You need to satisfy most of them,or they'll not it use because their favorite apps don't work.

OpenOffice.org (office software) [one of the 3 apps that will bloat microwinX,but I need this]

bloat? nope ... openoffice just needs some extra dll's and thats all ... and in comparison to ms office we dont even need to talk about ...

See,there's not one single program that is bad or unnecessary,and 90% of them are free :)

this list is cleaned up ...

But people are different many don't like what I chose,for example many prefer MS Office over OpenOffice.org

some prefer it especially in their office, but for home use ... never ... openoffice rulez!

See,different people,different tastes.

true

You need to satisfy most of them,or they'll not it use because their favorite apps don't work.

but it should not be our aim to satisfy most people (that is what microsoft does), we should try to reach our goal --> small, simple, secure microwindows with basic support for _most_ needed applications

due to the many restrictions of this windows (e.g. no user management, no software installation after modification etc etc etc) we will never be able to satisfy all ...

Edited by vci

very true vci, but that wont stop me from trying to satisfy synth with his requests, since none have been completly outrageous yet, except for dial up support being the most important thing to him, even though he stated he doesn't use dial up internet, except for backup.

other than that. some things might cause less security, and on my site ill make people aware of such things.

I am taking the day off to celebrate btw.

Edited by gdogg

Filezilla:

comctl32.dll, winspool.drv

PROBLEM: starting program and nothing happens

rechecked that program

seems that filezilla only needs: riched20.dll

maybe it needs additional registry entries (I tested some registry stuff in advance, anyway if they are needed, I've got them)

maybe I can recheck that on the weekend ... because this week I dont have that much time