[How-to] MicrowinX Project

gdogg

ive been trying a  thing to shrink .dll s

its so easy to use

resource hacker

ive gotten shell32.dll down to 5.4 MB without losing any used icons by me

had it @ 3.0MB but, that was really funny, everything except programs I installed had see through icons

Oh, I guess that is a far bit smaller than the shrunken files I sent you..... :blink:

Wich ones of those I gave you are you still using?

If you have succeeded to shrink them even more please let me know ;)

but ive sinced removed a bunch more, now only use 2 of them

shell32.dll, and shdocvw.dll

shell32.dll is very hard to remove stuff from without losing icons, even when the icon you remove, has nothing to do with the icon that changes on you , lol

everyone wants to try it..so would i like too..

it would be nice if that windows suported Hamachi too, because i found out that it needs some basic windows service to work.. i dont know which - i just enabled more at the same time when it first didnt worked..

but ive sinced removed a bunch more, now only use 2 of them

shell32.dll, and shdocvw.dll

shell32.dll is very hard to remove stuff from without losing icons, even when the icon you remove, has nothing to do with the icon that changes on you , lol

Shell32.dll is a pain in the @$$. I wish MS would make something for it like for Winlogon. But you could try using a previous version of Windows (2000?) and use the shell32.dll file from that. I'm not sure if it works or not, but it's worth a try :D.

Will be watching this topic :) sounds interesting ^^ I'm thinkin of installing virtual pc at work (helpdesk in an university) and helping you out. I'm working from 9:00-17:00 but I must warn u.. dont be so sure I will help u more then 2 weeks. But the help I give u in those 2 weeks will defenitly be worth it. Cause somehow after 2 weeks I lose interest :( Gonna try get V-PC installed now :)

real world running tests, thats why

windows xp before doing what ive done to it, with the same firewall and drivers, used 135MB ram

I will be testing this windows without a firewall soon, to see if its capable of doing such a thing without being hacked, in 40 minutes, like a normal non-firewalled windows xp

eeehh? I dont have a firewall, never had one as well o_O

Edited by Fridge-RaideR

im sure nothing they've found, i havn't yet

ive tested every single file in system32 to see if its needed for my needs, or needed to boot windows, in its current explorer state, and im there,

ive even shrunk the \config folder

and \drivers folder

somewhere most leave alone, @ all costs

Edited by gdogg

I just wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to this project to come out. I started a project simulair to this by trial and error removing components on windows xp but ended up screwing it up completly because i wasn't quite sure what i was getting rid half the time. Mostly deals with lack of knowledge on the windows xp enviroment. You have my praise and I will most definitly be a user onces this comes out.

-Rob-

Edited by novaslogic