Buying a new Computer

The Rock

Hello,

I am planning to buy a new Computer and will in the end of the post tell the specifications. But there are around 5.678 Billion computer products manufacturers, so please tell IN YOUR OPINION, whcih brand shall i go for and what model number.

Here are the specs:-

1)Processor - Intel 3.2 HT EE (I think i know this one)

2)Mother Board - Intel 925 (Am I Right? What are the issues with this? How Many models does it have? Is it worth its Price? {{I need only Genuine Intel Product}})

3)Hard Disk - SATA, 250GB, 10k rpm (Please Tell the Brand and model)

4)DVD-RW - (Nothing to Describe, But please tell the Brand....SAMSUNG?)

5)Cabinet - (As Spacious but not budget Heavy)

6)Speakers - I have Altec Lansing

7)RAM - 2GB DDR/DDR II/RD (Mhz, Brand and i heard somewhere dual or something like that {{NOT DDR}})

8)Graphics Card - Company nVidia, RAM 256MB

9)UPS - Well....

10)Monitor - 19" CRT

Any Help wud be highly appreciated. I need this Computer primarily for Gaming.

The Rock.

I'm building one right now too... here's a couple of things I'd recommend:

Motherboard - ASUS P5WD2 Premium $209

CPU - P4 640 3.2GHz $216.50 P4 650 3.4GHz $267.85 or the P4 660 3.6GHz $412

HD - Western Digital Raptor 74GB @ 10,000 rpm WD740GD $181

RAM - (2) 2x512 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 PC2 6400 $198

Thats all I can recommend at the time, check out my thread where I am building a new computer as well and wanting component suggestions. I would like to hear recommendations on the Vid Card and DVD burner as well. Since you're looking for gaming, someone may suggest a good SLI board, however the P5WD2 is a great board and soon should be able to support SLI.

P.S. Thanks jcarle!

Edited by ringfinger

If I may make a suggestion... if you're going to be doing gaming on your computer, go with AMD. Intels are generally better suited for multi-tasking, while AMD is better for single-threaded applications, like games. The 3200+ should suit your needs (matching the 3.2 you listed).

ASUS makes good motherboards. I'd go with them if you can find a board that suits your needs.

Hard drives - Seagate, Seagate, Seagate. The 5 year warranty should be enough to sell you on that one (compared to 3 for the other manufacturers). I actually would disagree with getting the Raptors. I've heard that the performance increase isn't really all that great over SATA-NCQ drives considering the price premium you pay.

DVD-RW - I think jcarle will back me up on this one... Pioneer. I can't remember their latest model... jcarle will. :P

Cabinet (I'm guessing you mean case) - Antec makes very nice cases. The P180 is really nice and sleek if you're not looking to show off your components with flashy lights and crap like that... ;) Antec also makes great power supplies.

RAM - Corsair, if you can afford it. It's a bit more pricey than other RAM, but it's the best there is.

Graphics - Either the 6800 Ultra, or the 7800 if you've got the funds. Again, it depends on your budget. The again, the extra price for an SLI system hasn't really proven itself in most games, since they aren't coded to take advantage of the dual video cards.

I think the most helpful for us would be to tell us how much you're willing to spend. If you had $5000USD (I know you're not in the states) I could easily sum up the ultimate gaming machine (X2 4800+, 7800GTX, etc etc), but that's a bit extreme.

Hello people,

Thanks for your Advise.

There are some things i wanted to know.

1)Is DDR II Better than RDRAM?

2)Intel MoBos are better or Intel Based (like ASUS)

There are somethings i wanted to tell.

1)My Price range is USD950(Cuz thats all the money a 19 year old can call his own)

2)I am absolutely not interested in AMDs, No disrespect to your opinions, but i am INTEL INSIDE.

And no one told me about the graphics card with 256 mb, Pixel Shader support (Dont count this in the $950 budget) and the UPS.

Thanks, The Rock

1)Is DDR II Better than RDRAM?

2)Intel MoBos are better or Intel Based (like ASUS)

1)RDRAM is plain expensive. Don't go there.

2) Intel Mobos are alright, but limiting. If you ever want to do any sort of OCing (you never know), you won't be able to with an Intel board.

I have been using Intel all my life so there no good reason i wud like to use AMD's

As for AMDs... I used to use Intels all the time and for a notebook, I wouldn't look elsewhere. However, most benchmarks for gaming have shown that AMD's are typically better in that department. Another selling point for AMD is the fact that their CPUs generate less heat than Intels.

Tom's Hardware did a test on the top-end AMD and Intel dual-core CPUs here. The general conclusions can be drawn down the line with both manufacturers. Performance per watt - AMD wins every time. Since all electrical energy in a computer is eventually turned into heat, AMDs generally run cooler than their Intel equivalents. (Not to mention that the AMD did much better than the Intel in FarCry ;))

thx for ur input there zxian, im just hoping that he will see the light and come over to the better side :)

if you want good gaming then you need to go with an amd, i know that sooo many people have intels and would only buy intel but thats because they dont know about amd and how much better than intel they are.

thx for ur input there zxian, im just hoping that he will see the light and come over to the better side :)

if you want good gaming then you need to go with an amd, i know that sooo many people have intels and would only buy intel but thats because they dont know about amd and how much better than intel they are.

Thats because intel advertise and AMD dont, they leave people to find out the hard way that thay have chosen wrongly. I have always built AMD machines, but recently built a low end intel for my daughter, NEVER AGAIN, whats the story with Memory vs CPU with Intels, 400FSB on the CPU = 200FSB on the Memory ?????? huh!!! 533FSB on the CPU = 333FSB on the Memory duhh!!! to me that is just using half of the memorys bandwith, whereas AMD's 400FSB runns the Memory at 400FSB Same speed.

Good luck with your Intel Build though the Rock, But I sugest before you buy those parts you just pop over to www.planetamd64.com and see what they say over there, there are currently some serious heat issues that intel are still trying to work around with there new CPU's.